Review of Dear Self

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review of Dear Self

Post by WADonnelly »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dear Self" by Ruby Dhal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dear Self by Ruby Dhal is a beautiful self-help book exploring both the writer’s and the reader’s deepest emotions. As the author navigates their own experiences and feelings, readers often find themselves within the words on the page as they relate to their own experiences and emotions. In Dhal’s pain, we find our own, and in her love, we discover ours. This book is raw and engaging, and it seeks to uncover what self-worth and self-love really mean. Through examples of pain, struggle, loss, love and joy, Ruby Dhal encourages the reader to grow and see the potential for great happiness in their life.

This book is divided into four sections: Self-love/Self-worth, Heartbreak/Moving on, Love and Healing/Well-being. These concepts are explored through various prose pieces that present things to learn from the author’s experiences in order to improve one’s life or self-reflect. The structure of this book makes it easy to work through at a slow pace if desired, and it can even be read in non-chronological order so that one could read it in a way that best suits them. With a friendly conversational tone, this book replicates the ease of a conversation between friends - the author opens up and confides in the reader, making way for the reader to do the same.

One of the most compelling elements about this book is that it is consistently honest. At times I worried that it presented a path to emotional healing through rose-tinted glasses. However, the positive encouragement and affirmations are paired with the author’s candid recounting of their mistakes and struggles. This depiction of both the light and dark sides of healing enables readers to forgive themselves for having an imperfect emotional journey and encourages them to continue on that journey regardless of ugly and painful moments.

Despite Dhal’s refreshing honesty, there were a few parts of this book that I did not like as much. There occasionally seems to be an oversimplification of ideas or actions that the reader should take towards improving their mindset; this lack of depth does not assist the reader. An example of this is that the author tends to repeat a phrase perhaps five or six times in consecutive sentences as if writing a motivational speech. Rather than appearing motivating, these phrases come across as monotonous.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I could not justify giving four stars due to the somewhat inconsistent writing skill as described above. Also, I do not believe that this book has been professionally edited due to the number of errors I found. That said, this book has the potential to immensely help someone in need of emotional support and guidance. It is a helpful guide and companion, so I would recommend this book to those seeking to improve their mental health and well-being.

Dear Self
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It sounds like an emotional reflection and it will make for a good read. Monotonous sentences can be boring but the book sounds really helpful. Thank you for a delightful review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

Kavita Shah wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 02:51 It sounds like an emotional reflection and it will make for a good read. Monotonous sentences can be boring but the book sounds really helpful. Thank you for a delightful review!
Yes, regardless of the occassional monotony, it is a very helpful book. Thanks for your comment.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

What a good book of love, self love is like the greatest gift one can give to himself/herself, great review.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Long and monotonous sentences can ruin the book. This could be a good piece. Nice review!
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Self-help books are my favourite. I love to read and learn from the author's many experiences. Great review.
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Books which express the journey of author's life, I think are more easy to connect. In this chaotic life, we always neglect ourselves that's a harsh reality.
Thank you for your beautiful review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Shreeya Tambe
Currently Reading: The MISOGI Method
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreeya-tambe.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Shreeya Tambe »

Sounds like a good read. Thank you!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

Miriam nkere wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 06:29 What a good book of love, self love is like the greatest gift one can give to himself/herself, great review.
I completely agree, thanks for stopping by!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 08:35 Long and monotonous sentences can ruin the book. This could be a good piece. Nice review!
They can be very detrimental indeed. Thanks for commenting!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

El_limitless wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:29 Self-help books are my favourite. I love to read and learn from the author's many experiences. Great review.
In that case, I hope you give this book a go!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

Durgeshwari Dolas wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 00:44 Books which express the journey of author's life, I think are more easy to connect. In this chaotic life, we always neglect ourselves that's a harsh reality.
Thank you for your beautiful review!
That is very true. It is definitely easier to connect with the author when they share about their life. Thanks for the comment.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:

Post by WADonnelly »

Shreeya Tambe wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 14:18 Sounds like a good read. Thank you!
Thank you for stopping by to leave a comment!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

I m so glad that people are making self care a priority. Thanks for an insightful review :)
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

It is wonderful to learn how the author channelises her pain and experiences into important life lessons others need to learn from.
Thanks for such a good review!:D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”