Review of Voices from the Fallen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Review of Voices from the Fallen

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voices from the Fallen" by Michael K Tourville.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voices from the Fallen by Michael K. Tourville is one of the most unique presentations of addiction and recovery stories that I have read. The author intermixes first-hand information from the addict and their families. He also includes insights about each case from a licensed clinician as well as questions for the reader to ponder. This combination gives a broad, in-depth view of what it’s like to be trapped in addiction, how it affects the family, and how a person can find their way out.

The author has gathered together several true stories in an attempt to shine a light on addiction and help those trapped in it to see the path to recovery. The stories are all emotional and intense. Some of them end in tragedy. They expose the truths of how addiction can totally dominate a person’s life and how recovery is often a road that includes relapse and the need to try again. Some of the people found themselves relapsing so many times that family lost hope that they would ever beat their addiction. Different recovery groups and styles are highlighted in the book including detoxing, following the 12 steps, counseling, and religion. Most often a combination of strategies is needed to heal the addict.

I was so impressed with this book. The addicts bravely tell their stories with honesty. The families express raw emotions openly. I felt the tears in my eyes when one family lost their child to suicide. I felt the joy when an addict found freedom. I learned a lot about how drugs slowly creep into a person’s life and take over. I also found it interesting that going to rehab to detox is only the first step. If the patient does not find support services afterward, the mental addiction will reclaim them.

The only problem I found with this book was the editing. I found fifteen mistakes most of which were comma errors. This is not excessive, but it could use another round of editing.

Overall, I rate this book as 3 out of 4 stars. I wish I could give it a four. It was intense and kept me interested the whole way through. However, I had to take a point away because I found more than ten errors. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to understand addiction or anyone who has been trapped in its grip. There is some minor profanity and one vague reference to sex. Still, I found it appropriate for teens and adults. I believe this book can help people see the truth about addiction as a treacherous disease that destroys lives. I join the author in his hope that this book leads many to freedom.

Voices from the Fallen
View: on Bookshelves
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I love how the author approached the topic of addiction from a comprehensive perspective. The book will be of immense help to sufferers of different addictions. Great review.
Annie2206
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie2206.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Annie2206 »

It's an amazing review. I really am looking forward to read this book.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This does sound like an intriguing book, especially from your review. I am still not ready to read really heavy books, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for a captivating review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

El_limitless wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 15:32 I love how the author approached the topic of addiction from a comprehensive perspective. The book will be of immense help to sufferers of different addictions. Great review.
It was very insightful. I’ve never seen a book about addiction written in this format.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”