Review of When Your Voice Became Mine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of When Your Voice Became Mine

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Your Voice Became Mine" by Celeste N. Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can any grief compare to the loss of one's child? While you ponder on that question, remember that God knows best and has a greater purpose for each of us. In When Your Voice Became Mine: There IS a Mailbox in Heaven by Celeste N. Bowers, we read about the author's daughter, Christina Bowers, and her inspiring but short journey in this world through the letters her mother writes to her.

Christina Bowers left this world to enter heaven at the age of ten in 2005 after her battle with cancer. Before her passing, Christina always wished to help people and put smiles on their faces. She was a leader among her peers and loved to play softball and soccer. But most importantly, she loved Jesus. After her diagnosis, Christina and her mother promised never to question God. They only asked Him to use Christina for His glory. Hence, this book contains letters from the author to Christina, and in them, she testifies to God's marvelous works through her.

Writing is known to be an effective way to process grief. However, this book achieves more by sharing a message of hope, love, kindness, faith, and total submission to the will of God. This book is a testament to the fact that we can be ambassadors of God's love regardless of how long we live. At only ten, Christina was an extraordinary example of courage, faith, and love. I must say that her story is worth sharing with the world, so kudos to the author for doing just that.

The author writes in a captivating way, and I enjoyed it. The author's tone is very touching but inspiring. I struggled to hold back my tears at some of her narrations but drew strength and courage from them. The author's language is simple, making the book easy to understand. Since she wrote the book in the form of a letter to Christina, I enjoyed how this gave me a feeling that our departed loved ones aren't far from us. The pictures in the book also made the book more appealing and relatable. Also, I liked the poems that the author wrote for her daughter. My favorite is the one titled 'Was That You?' In this one, the author asked Christina if she was the one who reached down from heaven and wiped her tears. Isn't that so touching?

Furthermore, there are life lessons to grab from this book. I learned that we should be an example to others even in the face of ugly circumstances. However, what I liked most about this book was the author's zeal to support others who are going through the same situation she and her family experienced. She always tried to reach out through her books, clubs, and one-on-one meetings. More so, I enjoyed reading about the signs that helped the author to believe her daughter's passing was God's will.

In conclusion, I enjoyed reading this book. I like how the book wasn't about Christina's cancer or her death. It is about the good works that God is doing through Christina even after her demise. I didn't dislike anything about the book, and I'm happy to report that I didn't find any errors throughout my read. Therefore, there's nothing left but to award the book a well-deserved four out of four stars. I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs, especially Christians interested in reading about faith and God's mysterious ways of working through people.

When Your Voice Became Mine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

"Christina and her mother promised never to question God. They only asked Him to use Christina for His glory. " - Obedience is beautiful but it can be hard and excruciatingly painful at times. May God continue to give this wise woman comfort. Losing a loved one is never easy. Your review is beautifully written. It is also a tribute to Christina.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This sounds like such a touching story. The death of a child is a sensitive topic and difficult to grasp. It seems like the author (or at least the character) is going through the full cycle of grief, finally into acceptance. A very thoughtful read. Thank you for sharing your review!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I can just say Christina was brave. I'm speechless right now after reading your review. I can just pray that may God bless Christina soul wherever it is and her entire family too. Thank you for your beautiful review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Nothing is more painful than grieving the loss of a child. It's not a place anyone wishes to find themselves. I hope this book gives strength to whoever is going through that right now. Great review.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I haven't read enough books that help deal with the loss of a child, so I will give this a try.
The cover looks refreshing.
Thank you for your thoughtful review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It took courage to write a book like this. The topic is really painful. Congratulations to the author.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like a truly beautiful book. I’m so glad the author could execute it so well. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”