Review of The Fun Stops Here

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of The Fun Stops Here

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fun Stops Here" by Nick Sebastiani.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fun Stops Here is a 397-page book by Nick Sebastiani. It talks about the story of the author’s addiction and ordeals. In addition, it discusses the theme of alcoholism, its causes, effects, and prevention.

The author detailed his life experiences, starting from growing up in a Catholic family and how drinks were usually present at family gatherings. As a young man who loved running and hiking, he started taking alcohol. He had a job as a civilian and another in the military but lost all due to his addiction. Life became hard. A close friend died of alcoholism which made Nick start rehabs, therapy, and counseling but unfortunately relapsed. How far do you think Nick would go to bring himself out of this addiction in these difficult times? Read this book to find out the grave consequences of alcoholism and Nick’s end.

The author did an excellent job in describing different experiences at different places and moments. His experiences during hiking, his workplace, the people he met along his life journey, and his adventures were very detailed. It almost felt like I was reading a diary. The plot was also not arranged in the traditional manner of chapters; instead, it was divided into events. This made the subheadings and the book shorter, simpler, and easier to read. Through the book, I also got used to many sporting, military, and alcoholic terms such as BMT (Basic Military Training), detox, trails, cesspool, and WSO (Weapon System Officer).

In this story, the author experienced it all. He experienced bumping into things, got arrested for DWI (Driving While Intoxicated), was discharged from work, among others. The author also shared the emotional trauma caused by this addiction. Besides, I love and admire Kim, his wife. She endured with Nick throughout his addictive period and played a significant role in his life.

This was quite an inspirational and insightful read for me. Alcoholism is one of the contemporary issues facing the world. Alcoholics tend to get into accidents and being psychologically distraught with people around them. Therefore, I commend the author for bringing his story into the limelight. Also, I love how the author expertly dished out his personal experiences in a detailed and orderly manner.

However, I found a few errors which show the book was professionally edited. I cannot think of any aspect of this wonderful chronicle that I dislike, as it was very informative, inspiring, and educative. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this piece to readers who enjoy memoirs and inspirational stories. I would also recommend to addicts; they can learn one or two lessons from the book.

The Fun Stops Here
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

A book touching on addiction. I'd love to read through his life's experiences. Thank you for this lovely review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A book that discusses addiction using the author's story and discusses alcoholism, its causes, effects, and prevention is timely in a world needing help to quit many harmful habits. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”