Review of Shot Down

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TalJB22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taljb22.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Review of Shot Down

Post by TalJB22 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shot Down" by Steve Snyder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shot Down by Steve Snyder is the true story of ten brave American men who fought in World War II as the crew of the B-17 Flying Fortress, the Susan Ruth. This heartbreaking, yet inspiring story follows Steve’s father, Howard Snyder, and the rest of the crew from the beginning of their training all the way through to the end of the war. The author details the incredible amount of training and preparation the men went through before even going on their first mission. He talks about the immense level of stress and anxiety each mission caused because a million things could go wrong from start to finish. And he discusses how difficult it was for them to watch friend after friend never return.

Most of the men had already been on several missions when on February 8, 1944, during the second mission that all ten of them were able to fly together, they were shot down over enemy territory. The author details what each of the men went through after that fateful moment, and he introduces the reader to so many brave men and women who helped men like his father get back home.

I really enjoyed reading the author’s account of these ten courageous men, and the stories of the many, many others who sacrificed so much. It is a heart-wrenching story, of course, because it delves into the painful realities of World War II. But it is also an inspirational story that made me feel so proud of and grateful for the heroic men and women who fought for freedom and justice.

The first-hand accounts and quotes the author was able to include made this book something special. Getting to read letters that the soldiers sent back home during their ordeal gave me a new perspective into their world. Reading some of the letters sent between the family members back home while they were waiting for word on their missing men made it possible to imagine the depths of their pain and worry.

There was nothing about this book that I disliked. It was written and edited well. I gladly give Shot Down by Steve Snyder four out of four stars. Anyone who enjoys nonfiction, especially relating to World War II, would enjoy picking this book up. The book is a true story that does deal with the realities of war, and so some upsetting topics such as torture, amputation, and execution are discussed. During these sections, the author never goes into gruesome detail.

I would like to thank the author for all the hard work that went into telling this important story, and I would like to thank those who served and sacrificed so much!

Shot Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

If a book can have such an impact on you, it must be a really great book. Thank you for sharing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”