Review of My life uncensored

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Review of My life uncensored

Post by Joyful17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My life uncensored" by Cristina Caymares.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Experiences in life are like a treasure store. Preserving them in books can mean a lot for us and others. My Life Uncensored by Cristina Caymares is a treasure store of Cristina's raw thoughts.

The book's moderate size of 44 pages relates numerous events spanning over a fair amount of time in the life of the author. It relates how the author had to cope without the consistent care of both parents. It covers events in the author's life as a kid and also as a teenager. It also relates the impact that extended family members had on her life.

The book's title gave me a hint of what to expect, and this book lived up to my expectations. The author was transparent and clear in relating the events that shaped her life. For instance, when her aunt, Tia Zoe, would make sandwiches from whole wheat bread and turkey, she thought to herself, "The taste of the bread always gave me a feeling of indifference. Where did she get this bread?... This bread made me feel naked, like the feeling of getting a really bad haircut, or the feeling of losing your voice and slurring on your words."

I also loved her choice of words. They were neither bitter nor resentful. She has learned to always appreciate the good in others, despite their failings. This quality stands out in her relationship with her grandmother. Unlike other members of her family who find it difficult to get along with granny, she developed a soft spot for her doting grandmother.

The tone of the narrative is painfully honest. The author did not try to cover her failings or paint a perfect picture of herself. This is my most favorite aspect of this book. For example, she was candid about the real reason behind her breakup with one of her boyfriends. The pictures included in the book also gave life to the story and put a face to the characters.

However, from the onset of the book, I noticed that the sequence of events did not follow a logical order. The narrative jumps from one event to a totally different one in the space of a few lines. This sometimes got me confused, and I had to reread several times before I could comprehend what I was reading. This is my only dislike about this book. However, I would deduct a star for this reason because it interfered with my enjoyment of the book.

Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited. There were no profanities in the text, and it is not religiously biased. I would recommend this book for lovers of autobiography who love raw and honest information.

My life uncensored
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I admire the author for giving such an honest and vulnerable description of her life, as I can't imagine that was at all an easy task. From the small sample you gave, it sounds like this is a beautifully written book. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Manaliiiii___
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Manaliiiii___ »

Explaining own life takes so much guts. But author of this book made it very simple nd quite amazing..
Thanks for the great review.
Victor Mbatian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victor Mbatian »

I admire the author for giving such an honest and vulnerable description of her life, as I can't imagine that was at all an easy task. From the small sample you gave, it sounds like this is a beautifully written book. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”