Review of The Soldiers Guide to PTSD

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Review of The Soldiers Guide to PTSD

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Soldiers Guide to PTSD" by Virginia Cruse.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is common and can happen to anyone. Most people have it but refuse to get help due to the wrong perception they have about it. This book might be what you need to get it right. The Soldier's Guide to PTSD by Virginia Cruse is a non-fiction and self-help book. Virginia is an ex-soldier who suffered from PTSD and fought hard to reclaim her life. As a result, she became a certified therapist and now seeks to help soldiers overcome PTSD, moral injury, depression, and combat operational stress.

Ms. Cruse started by explaining what PTSD is and what is not. She opened my eyes, particularly about the rumors about PTSD. One of such rumors is that PTSD has no cure. She further explains that some people have proven to show resistance to treatment based on their negative belief systems that healing isn't possible. The author introduced readers to some vital teachings like how change happens and moving forward to change. To move forward, there are two big thought-provoking questions that readers need to answer, which will determine if healing is possible. She also encourages readers to set boundaries on how to relate with people after recovery. All these insightful nuggets are contained in this book.

The author did well to make me understand that the only person that can change me is me, and you would appreciate that as well. I learned that the first step to getting help and reclaiming your life is by accepting and believing that change is possible. According to the author, treatment takes hard work but not forever.

Ms. Cruse did an excellent job in this publication. She poured her heart into this book and also opened the eyes of her readers on how to identify a certified therapist. She also advised readers to find a mental health practitioner that they can trust to tell them the bitter truth to make their healing faster.

What I like most about this book is her friendly approach to writing. While reading this book, I felt I was having a one-on-one conversation with the author. She was very transparent and honest in this book, and the swear words she used even made her teaching real and raw. I was able to create an imaginary no-nonsense face of the author even without seeing her.

From the beginning of this book, the author promised to keep her teachings simple, concise, and straight to the point. And she kept to her words and delivered her message clearly in this 154-page book. She didn't waste time on unnecessary dialogue that would bore her readers.

This book is educational, informative, and quite different from other self-help books I've read on PTSD. There is absolutely nothing I didn't like about this book. I, therefore, rate The Soldier's Guide to PTSD 4 out of 4 stars. I encountered only a few errors throughout my reading, so I can say that it's professionally edited. The author wrote this book for soldiers, but adults who need help can also benefit from it. Also, people with PTSD or the symptoms will get genuine insight through the teachings and undiluted truths in this book.

The Soldiers Guide to PTSD
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

The book seems so inspiring and amazing, it clearly seems to capture PTSD in reality.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

A lot of soldiers suffers PTSD due to their experiences in war. This book will be of great help to them. Thanks for the educative review.
amjad alhindi
Currently Reading: 40 أربعون
Bookshelf Size: 140

Post by amjad alhindi »

I haven't guessed this would happen but your review motivated me to read the book! the most interesting parts to me were that the book includes "how to identify a certified therapist.", and that it doesn't dive into unnecessary details.

many thanks to you, Chigo Nwagboso!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

PTSD is extremely common in military men and women. I can understand why soldiers would struggle to accept that they are suffering and seek help but there is no shame in needing help with any challenge one encounters. Life is hard, we must seize any and all opportunities that offer relief of some sort. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

An interesting review. I'd like to have my eyes opened too about PTSD. There are too many presumptions about it and I'd like to have some of the webs and fog cleared out of my mind.
laseniola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laseniola.html
Latest Review: The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa

Post by laseniola »

This is a must read. I would love to read about the same topic from the perspective of the friends or family of soldiers with PTSD. They also feel the ripple effects of PTSD and they need a help book like this one.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A good introduction is very useful when starting a topic which the reader may or may not know. And it's a short book with simple and raw teachings which is great. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”