Official Review: My Name is Dad by James Frank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: My Name is Dad by James Frank

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Name is Dad" by James Frank.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Name is Dad by James Frank is the story of a family impacted by suicide. Egor seemed like a happy, healthy 21-year-old. There were no signs that anything was wrong. However, on January 23, 2017, Egor hung himself in the garage of his family's home. Why? How do you move on from such a cataclysmic event?

James Frank shares with us the aftermath of this tragedy. He doesn't spare any details. Therefore, if this is something that you might be triggered by, I would recommend skipping this book. However, anyone that's lost a loved one to suicide would benefit from the wisdom of someone who has already experienced this tragedy. I highly recommend this to those that haven't been through this personally because it's eye-opening.

What I appreciated most about this book was the author's candidness. He shares his emotions, he shares the impact this had on his marriage, and he shares his search for answers. Also, it's a short book with only around 60 pages, which makes it accessible for a wide range of readers. With such an important topic — one that needs to be discussed more — it's helpful that even young adults would be able to read the book.

As far as issues, there were only a few. First, a few spots felt out of place. For example, at one point the author was discussing events four years after the suicide. With no warning, he then moved back in time to seven months after. It was jarring. Without giving anything away, I'll also just mention that there were a few topics that he could have elaborated on more fully. These, though, were few and far between, making it a minor issue.

The biggest problem, however, was the editing; there were numerous errors. These consisted of missing words, incorrect tenses, and missing spaces. Even the formatting needed work. At least in the PDF copy, a paragraph break was inserted in the middle of a sentence numerous times.

Now comes the hardest part of the review — the rating. How do you rate such an emotional story? My answer? With difficulty. Due solely to the need for more editing, I rate My Name is Dad 3 out of 4 stars. I encourage everyone to read this book, despite needing an editor. Those that are triggered by any mention of suicide, though, will need to avoid this. I hope that the book brings healing not only to the author but also to anyone going through a difficult time, whether those thinking of committing suicide or those who have lost someone to suicide.

My Name is Dad
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

A very emotional and triggering topic indeed. Would love to read the this one,if errors are not going to hinder my experience. Thank you for your review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

This book looks very interesting. I love reading eye-opening and mind-opening books. I'm really considering reading the book now—especially that it looks like a quick read. Thanks for the detailed review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Durgeshwari Dolas wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 00:48 A very emotional and triggering topic indeed. Would love to read the this one,if errors are not going to hinder my experience. Thank you for your review!
Even with the errors, it's worth taking a look at. We should all be more aware.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

jomana_3 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 07:46 This book looks very interesting. I love reading eye-opening and mind-opening books. I'm really considering reading the book now—especially that it looks like a quick read. Thanks for the detailed review.
It's a very quick read. I recommend it. It's a subject that we need to be more aware of. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The book addresses a very important topic, so I would give it a try. Hopefully all the issues would be fixed soon! Thanks for a great review! :)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Ellylion wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 08:04 The book addresses a very important topic, so I would give it a try. Hopefully all the issues would be fixed soon! Thanks for a great review! :)
The editing should be easy to fix. It's an important topic. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I read many books on suicide, so I will give this book a try.
I hope the editing problem has just a minor effect on me.
May this book help me understand why some people--especially men--killed themselves.
My workplace has a high suicide rate, and I find it very alarming.
Thank you for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 06:19 I read many books on suicide, so I will give this book a try.
I hope the editing problem has just a minor effect on me.
May this book help me understand why some people--especially men--killed themselves.
My workplace has a high suicide rate, and I find it very alarming.
Thank you for the review.
I'm sorry to hear your workplace has such a high suicide rate. I hope that there's access to counseling. I hope you learn something from the book.
—Neil Gaiman
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I don’t know if I would be able to read such a triggering book, but I’m glad Frank decided to write this book in hopes of helping other families impacted by suicide. This is indeed a very important topic that needs to be discussed more often and treated as the epidemic that it often is. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

It's such an important issue to discuss these days. I'm sure this book reveals all of the raw emotions and unanswered questions that result from someone committing suicide.

Thank you for your honest review.
:techie-studyinggray:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

maggi3 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 14:34 I don’t know if I would be able to read such a triggering book, but I’m glad Frank decided to write this book in hopes of helping other families impacted by suicide. This is indeed a very important topic that needs to be discussed more often and treated as the epidemic that it often is. Thanks for the review!
I understand. It's a difficult subject. I do hope it helps others out there. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 18:57 It's such an important issue to discuss these days. I'm sure this book reveals all of the raw emotions and unanswered questions that result from someone committing suicide.

Thank you for your honest review.
:techie-studyinggray:
Yes, you're right. Are there ever any good answers after someone commits suicide? Probably not. It's a book worth reading. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I used to think that people who take their own lives are selfish until I had a personal encounter that left me questioning my stance. I do no at all promote suicide nor do I condone such an act but I appreciate the heaviness and darkness that drives people to take their own lives. I also understand the trauma and scarring faced by those left behind. I enjoyed reading your review but I do not have the courage to pick this book up.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nqobile771 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 08:56 I used to think that people who take their own lives are selfish until I had a personal encounter that left me questioning my stance. I do no at all promote suicide nor do I condone such an act but I appreciate the heaviness and darkness that drives people to take their own lives. I also understand the trauma and scarring faced by those left behind. I enjoyed reading your review but I do not have the courage to pick this book up.
It's easy to judge others when you haven't been there yourself. So many things can drive people to suicide. I have a chronic illness, and there are times I wonder how I'm going to make it through another day. We all should be a little more understanding. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”