Official Review: Jumbo: The Secret Vessel Built to Hold a...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: A Man Called Stan by Jay Henning

Official Review: Jumbo: The Secret Vessel Built to Hold a...

Post by Reviewer100 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jumbo: The Secret Vessel Built to Hold an Atomic Bomb" by Frederick J Fraikor, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 1933, it was discovered by Leo Szilard that atomic bombs could be created. Based on Albert Einstein's theories, researches, and experiments by nuclear physicists, Szilard's discovery was the conclusion of both premises.

As the Second World War progressed, this atomic bomb seemed to be a game-changer in the hands of the United States Army. But the creation of this nuclear weapon was no easy feat. It will cost millions of US dollars. It will also require the most brilliant scientific minds, diligence, secrecy, and sacrifice. But even with these measures, was success guaranteed? Jumbo: The Secret Vessel Built to Hold an Atomic Bomb by Frederick J. Fraikor unveiled whether this daunting mission was accomplished and its role in ending the Second World War.

The impeccable research carried out by the author was praise-worthy. Frederick painstakingly dug into the historical activities of the Second World War and birthed the detailed narration of this book. Photographs of clips, newspapers, letters from Albert Einstein and President Roosevelt, quoted conversations from General Grove all made this book history in print. I found all these as the positive sides of this book. I did not just enjoy reading how the exploits and inventions of these commendable scientists and engineers were part of the Los Alamos project; I also liked how the Manhattan Engineering District contributed to the Second World War. I was able to visualize it through Frederick's words and the pictures that were included.

I also enjoyed the brevity and conciseness of this book. I liked that it was short and straightforward. Likewise, the author skillfully ensured that the book's shortness did not affect how detailed the occurrences of World War II were recounted. It was also easy to read, and the author's inclusion of handwritten technical notes on "Jumbo" was brilliant. It revealed the reality of these occurrences. I also believe that this positive aspect of the book will help curious readers to discover the information they desire.

Curiosity kept me glued to this book till I was able to finish it. I did not find any negative things in this book. It appeared professionally edited, as only a couple of errors were seen in the book. Overall, I rate this book four out of four stars because nothing stood out as a challenge to me while I read through the book. I recommend this great book to those interested in the scientific history of the Second World War.

Jumbo: The Secret Vessel Built to Hold an Atomic Bomb
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”