Official Review: The Complexities of Nike & Athena: M...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Official Review: The Complexities of Nike & Athena: M...

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Complexities of Nike & Athena: Marcia Battise a Biography" by Marcia Battise.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marcia Battise is a professional classical and screen actor who gained US citizenship through a green card application. In her book, The Complexities of Nike & Athena: Marcia Battise a Biography, she presents her thoughts on various issues: Covid-19, her own experiences, and many more. Marcia recounts how living in the country has shaped her life—from working as a security guard in the construction field to becoming a professional actor. The pages of this book exude her love for soul meditations and chakras.

This book presents thoughts of a woman—stemming from a poor family background—finding her place in Los Angeles, California. Marcia narrates her strange experiences while living in America. She also goes ahead to explain her metaphorical resources and her love for her industry, exploring it as a storyteller. Marcia has also included some scene pitches for film scripts and poems in this book. The poem I liked most was titled “I’m 25”. I couldn’t help smiling while reading the cheeky poem.

While reading this book, one encounters various themes: Covid-19, metaphysics, politics, and many others. The pictures attached at the end of this book were commendable; however, some were of poor quality, and others were scary. However, the pictures played the role of giving a visual impression on the mind of a reader. I selected this book while thinking that it was a biography; however, it turned out to be something else.

Marcia describes herself as a “cheeky and a Lillie standoffish” and also as a dyslexic person. However, as far as negatives are concerned, this book is flooded with typographical and grammatical errors that it is often illegible. I don’t relish giving negative reviews, but sometimes it is fair to be honest, especially to those who will read this review. The entire editing of this book was seriously flawed; it was marred with a plethora of typos, almost on every page.

A reader detects no flow in this book. I had to read this fifty-one-page book twice to understand what it is all about. Many pages of this book were in upper case. While this may not be an error, I found it to be a bit awkward. After reading this book, it was easier to tell that the book wasn't professionally edited. I would recommend a thorough round of editing and reformatting of this book before giving it back to readers. Potential readers of this book should also know that it involves a few instances of vulgarity.

Sincerely, there is less to like in this book—the many grammatical errors, the lack of flow, the unclear message, and the many typographical errors affected my reading and enjoyment of this book. With that said, The Complexities of Nike & Athena: Marcia Battise a Biography earns 2 out of 4 stars. Giving this book a one-star rating will be an outright injustice; there are a few things I liked in it. However, it can’t receive a higher rating due to the aforementioned flaws. Fans of non-fiction and personal stories may want to give it a try; however, if you hate books involving typos, you may want to read other books.

The Complexities of Nike & Athena: Marcia Battise a Biography
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Sorry to know an the flaws. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”