Official Review: An Antidote to Violence: Evaluating the ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The Other Computer History by Hans Bodmer

Official Review: An Antidote to Violence: Evaluating the ...

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Antidote to Violence: Evaluating the Evidence" by Barry Spivack & Patricia Saunders.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Antidote to Violence: Evaluating the Evidence is a critical research work by Barry Spivack and Patricia Saunders on the efficacy of the Maharishi Effect. Not too long after the UN General Assembly adopts an emergency force to end the war against Egypt by Britain, France, and Israel, a reinforcement is made. Britain and France restrategize their airstrike troops and attack Egypt. This indicates the futility of conflict resolution through armed forces. Hence, the need for the transcendental meditation technique that Maharishi Mahesh Yogi propounded. If the peace agreement brokered between Israel and Egypt lasted just for ten years, what is the guarantee that the Maharishi Effect will be a better alternative? How universal is the result? How empirical is this theory? These and many more we shall find out from this research work.

The conflict in this book sparked my interest at the early stages of the read. However, the applications of physicists' theories of Heinrich Hertz, Guglielmo Marconi, James Maxwell, and others made me a tad pessimistic of the outcome. I was thrown aghast on how these theories could lead to any solution to war and conflict. Well, the end does justify the means.

The first aspect of this research worthy of note is the methodology of data analysis and the depth. Every good research work has to have a well-defined method and process of data collection and analysis. This is what Barry and Patricia do here. Not only is the methodology apparent and defined, but the study is also void of ambiguity, which is an essential aspect of sound scientific research.

Similar to methodology is the theory of the research. Imagine research without any theoretical framework. It's pretty absurd. The idea, as propounded by Maharishi, is adopted and expounded in this work. Thus, arriving at the same result as the theory prescribes.

Let's take a brief look at the general arrangement of the research. What do you discover? From the outline of the aims to the acknowledgment of cited works, we are treated to the beauty of scientific research. The preliminary chapters are dedicated to the discovery of the Maharishi Effect, the body analyzes the discovery, and the subsidiary chapters recommend possible lasting solutions to wars and violence.

But this work did not prescribe suitable solutions to be adopted during the periods of confrontations. Since the idea is to replace armed forces in peace management, how can open wars be suppressed? This was one of the questions I hoped the authors answered. I'd love to have a chat with the author to get some answers.

Nevertheless, the universality of this research and its objectivity override my minor dissatisfaction. The theory works both nationally and internationally; thus, it is intercontinental in its application. Additionally, the book had only two minor errors. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book of research to every lover of diplomatic peacekeeping, both military and civilian. For the government and the governed, I also recommend this work.

An Antidote to Violence: Evaluating the Evidence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”