Official Review: My Brother Was My Keeper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Official Review: My Brother Was My Keeper

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Brother Was My Keeper" by Vada Allen- Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Brother Was My Keeper is Vada Allen-Johnson’s recollection of her family. It is both tragic and hopeful, as she experienced both during her life. Set in East Texas, the story honors the author’s brother and grandfather while also revealing some family horrors that no one should have to go through.

The Allen family is a big one, consisting of four girls, a boy, and a mother. The father prefers to be called “Mister,” thus minimizing his part in the family. Vada is the youngest child, meaning that she is supposed to be the most loved and spoiled of them all. However, the horrors of her life are only bearable because of a small number of people who showed her kindness. But the tables have turned, and she is calling her abusers for their actions.

Everyone has or had problems with their family, whether it is a disagreement or something more serious. However, the events described in this book surpass everything I could’ve imagined. For example, the author was almost strangled to death with a nylon stocking just for being born. Unfortunately, many similar events take place in the pages of this book, from losing loved ones to living the life of a slave. The chapters about the people who made everything better were the only consolation. One of the most memorable chapters was about a stranger who took care of the author without expecting anything in return. Small acts of kindness, even if rare, are the reason for going further, even when things seem to have no point. In that regard, the book delivers a hopeful message about healing. Many valuable lessons are taught here, like honesty, unconditional love, and sharing.

I appreciated that the author let herself be vulnerable. She refused to give the characters their real names, but she still exposed their actions and hoped that they would realize the wrongs they did. The most important persons are Mommy, Mister, Papa, the Monster, and Chinee. Even though the reader doesn’t know their real names, it feels more personal to know these nicknames. Through this, the author introduces the reader to her family.

Although all persons were described in detail, the author’s brother, Chinee, was the most interesting one. He was kind, selfless, but he also had his flaws. This made everything feel genuine and helped me relate to his character. The book is essentially a gratitude letter to him.

The book was highly entertaining. The author chose only key moments from her life, so there was no unnecessary information. The writing style is elegant and honest, which I think is the best combination for a memoir. The ending brought me to tears, making me realize how much I actually cared about the characters. The brother and sister relationship overcomes all boundaries, being portrayed as one of the purest kinds of love. In the end, love truly conquers all.

Religion has an important role in the author’s life, but I don’t think readers who have different beliefs would be offended by this book. The book is free of any mature content, but the events could be disturbing for those with soft hearts. However, I encourage everyone to check this book out as it shows nothing but the truth. Readers who like emotionally-filled stories would enjoy this book at its best.

My only complaint is that the events were not in chronological order. The time jumps can be confusing, leading to misunderstandings. For that reason, my recommendation would be to re-arrange the chapters in order. Since this is just a personal preference, it won’t affect my rating.

However, I can’t say the same thing about the grammar errors, which were more than I could count. Some of the most disturbing ones were the missing commas, as they disrupted the flow of the sentences. Because of that, I have to deduct a star from the rating of this book. Thus, because the book has more qualities than flaws, I rate My Brother Was My Keeper 3 out of 4 stars.

My Brother Was My Keeper
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It took courage to write such a powerful book on very delicate topics. Thanks for the unbiased review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The author witnessed and suffered horrors and at the same time some acts of kindness as well in an upbringing that must have left deep scars. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I am fond of memoirs like this, and I think we get along well with our choice of books.
(I read The Book Thief and The Glass Castle, and they're both my favorite reads!)
Acts of kindness, no matter how small, have an impact on someone's life.
Thank you for writing this heartfelt review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

As a memoir lover I would love to check this one out, especially considering a beautiful writing style the author used :) Thank you for this insightful review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like this book can stir some powerful emotions. Thank you for your engaging review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I'm glad that the author found the courage to tell her story. This sounds like a very emotional book. Hopefully, some editing can be done to give it a perfect rating.

Thank you for your honest review.
😌
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I love raw, honest memoirs that show courage along with healing on the part of the author.

Kindness truly goes a long way whether it is from a brother or a stranger.

Thanks for the honest, compelling review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Memoirs are not my choice, but I liked this one. I love your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”