Official Review: Cultural Chauvinism by Minabere Ibelema

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: No Reezon by Tara Falling Douglas

Official Review: Cultural Chauvinism by Minabere Ibelema

Post by markodim721 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cultural Chauvinism" by Minabere Ibelema.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The title of the book Cultural Chauvinism: Intercultural Communication and the Politics of Superiority does not leave much room for speculation as to which topic it covers. The author Minabere Ibelema, otherwise a retired professor of communication studies, did an excellent job writing a very concrete and concise book. The book itself is divided into fourteen shorter chapters, organized in a logical order, which makes the book easy and pleasant to read.

The game of supremacy, probably as old as human civilization, is skillfully hidden in the form of social values, religion, and political culture. The essence of cultural chauvinism consists in finding differences and emphasizing them, for some ethnic or national groups to impose themselves on others as superior. The lack of differences was overcome by their fabrications, myths, and assumptions. Although the nature of the book is scientific, thanks to the abundance of impressive examples, its content will be interesting to the general readership.

What I particularly liked about Cultural Chauvinism: Intercultural Communication and the Politics of Superiority is the insistence on the essence of the problem. Special emphasis is placed on Western values and their highlighting as the essence of all the virtues of the civilized world. Referring to the observations of other authors, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, Judaism/Christianity, and the Enlightenment were correctly identified as the main influences on the formation of Western values. In addition, the author cites the unmistakable conclusion about the circulation of influence in the Mediterranean. Thus, ancient Greece, the cradle of Western civilization, took over numerous traditions and ideas from ancient Egypt. In a professorial manner, the writer makes readers think. The question arises in the minds of readers, is Africa actually deprived of the epithet of the cradle of civilization? The book itself was written in the third person, out of the author's desire to keep the distance between him and the subject of study, and it is very well edited.

I have almost no objections to the book. One minor objection could be stated when it comes to the dominant use of the content of the Anglophone media. Of course, when you consider the numerous limitations that any researcher encounters, the author's choice seems rational.

With all the above in mind, the decision on how to rate the book Cultural Chauvinism: Intercultural Communication and the Politics of Superiority was an easy one. My final judgment is to rate the book with four out of four stars. Focus on the essence, simple and modern examples, and logical and impartial conclusions are the main values of the book.

I believe that a book of this quality will be enjoyed by the broadest layers of the reading public, from connoisseurs to the general readership. Younger readers as well as older ones, traditionalists, and liberals will equally appreciate the author's skill and readiness to recognize and analyze a problem that is more relevant today than ever.

Cultural Chauvinism
View: on Bookshelves
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Great review!!! Politics was never my cup of tea. The book seems too complicated for me to understand. You seem to have done a good job reviewing it.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

AbhyarnaAman wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 05:46 Great review!!! Politics was never my cup of tea. The book seems too complicated for me to understand. You seem to have done a good job reviewing it.
I'm glad you liked my review. The book is written on a scientific basis and may require some prior knowledge, but I enjoyed reading it.
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Nikki Armstrong, Measure of a Woman by Vinny Green

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Wow, this sounds intense! Thanks for the detailed review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 21:08 Wow, this sounds intense! Thanks for the detailed review.
The book is one of the more interesting books I have read lately and I recommend it to everyone. Thanks for stopping by.
Mindful Wordsmith
2021 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Currently Reading: The Loneliness of the Deep Space Cargoist
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindful-wordsmith.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Mindful Wordsmith »

This book is noteworthy for shining more light on the non-Anglophone view of the world. People must get a chance to look at the world from indigenous and native perspectives.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 10:14 This book is noteworthy for shining more light on the non-Anglophone view of the world. People must get a chance to look at the world from indigenous and native perspectives.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
I totally agree with you. Only then can we talk about objectivity and truth. Thanks for the comment.
Kavita Shah
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kavita Shah »

Cultural chauvinism sounds deep, fact full, thoughtful and interesting. It's challenging the myths that have been established to achieve supremacy. I would love to read it. Thank you for a great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Kavita Shah wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:31 Cultural chauvinism sounds deep, fact full, thoughtful and interesting. It's challenging the myths that have been established to achieve supremacy. I would love to read it. Thank you for a great review!
I think that in a few words you emphasized the essence of both my preview and the book itself. Thanks for stopping by.
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Fast-Starting A Career of Consequence by Fred Sievert

Post by Nqobile771 »

The book tackles a problematic concept that gives certain groups of people a false sense of power and superiority. It sounds like the author has done thorough research and puts forth valid arguments. Thanks for the review, it is insightful that's for sure!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

Nqobile771 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 13:03 The book tackles a problematic concept that gives certain groups of people a false sense of power and superiority. It sounds like the author has done thorough research and puts forth valid arguments. Thanks for the review, it is insightful that's for sure!
Exactly! Although the book has a scientific basis, the author has supported everything with frequent everyday examples, easily understood by all. Thanks for stopping by.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: All Clear
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Flight by Francis M. Burrows

Post by NetMassimo »

This book contains a lot of food for thought explaining the historical reasons why a certain mindset emerged in today's Western civilization. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
zainherb
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by zainherb »

Amazing!
This false sense of superiority of certain cultures over others is a problem that persists and so should be tackled persistently. It is great that the author has done a lot of research and taken the historical approach to doing this.
I am adding it to my bookshelf.

Great review!.
:techie-reference:
Joy C
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joy C »

The book seems quite complicated. However, it appears to give details on a social concept many might find themselves grappling with. Thanks for a detailed and well laid out review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:

Post by markodim721 »

NetMassimo wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 01:37 This book contains a lot of food for thought explaining the historical reasons why a certain mindset emerged in today's Western civilization. Thank you for your great review!
That's right. The book makes readers think more deeply, about the phenomena that we take in everyday life as finally true and objective. In essence, they only represent a certain point of view.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”