Official Review: Encrypting Billions by Patrick Alexander

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
prospero360
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Official Review: Encrypting Billions by Patrick Alexander

Post by prospero360 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Encrypting Billions" by Patrick Alexander.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"How is this world supposed to be?" This is a relevant and recurring question that drove a lot of the legendary Michael Keresman's decisions in becoming successful at creating and growing a global e-commerce company that focused on authenticating digital transactions. Patrick R. Alexander's Encrypting Billions: How Michael Keresman Made Cleveland the Epicenter of E-Commerce and Made Millions focuses on Michael Keresman's rise from graduating college as an accountant and working at a health insurance company, HealthAmerica, to his role in co-founding an eventual multibillion-dollar healthcare company and finally going out on his own to start up CardinalCommerce. At the same time, we take a look into Michael's driven, light-hearted personality and get to see how he sees the world differently.

The book is a biography, but in Michael Keresman's story, readers will get to pick up numerous lessons on entrepreneurship. The author did well to reinforce that aspect of the book by including several takeaways that readers can apply at the end of each chapter, and it was Patrick Alexander's ability to perfectly balance storytelling and educating that was my favorite aspect of the book. From always looking to challenge the status quo, embracing disruptions and using them as tools, and picking and accessing your staff to the importance of attention to detail and trust, the lessons littered across this intriguing story are relatable and easily applicable, as we get to see first hand how Michael applied them.

The story is told in a conversational tone that will draw readers in and make reading the book fairly comfortable as they read through the numerous challenges Michael faced. Imagine having to deal with the fear that a machine will replace you, taking on the biggest corporations that see you as a threat, having to handle a problematic employee, or even dealing with staff retention in the presence of companies that can pay much more. These are all easy scenarios to imagine as entrepreneurs because we experience such issues frequently, and with each challenge, Michael consistently scaled through, showing a different side to his can-do attitude and innovativeness that I found contagious.

While it may be easy to get lost in a few of the e-commerce terms employed in the story, the lessons are easily accessible. I must also commend the author on presenting a fairly well-edited book. I found about eight errors while reading, but they were minor and non-distracting. At about 170 pages, the book is a light read and can be read in one sitting; however, I strongly recommend taking the time to pick up and dissect the lessons in the story. I even learned more on my second read.

I cannot think of anything I dislike about this book. Therefore, Patrick Alexander's Encrypting Billions: How Michael Keresman Made Cleveland the Epicenter of E-Commerce and Made Millions deserves a rating of four out of four stars from me, especially for a thoroughly entertaining, educative, and inspirational story. Entrepreneurs will greatly benefit from reading this book. If you enjoy biographies, you will also love this book, as Patrick Alexander's storytelling is also impeccable.

Encrypting Billions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thais book sounds amazing and for budding entrepreneurs it can act as; like you said, an inspiration. The best part being that the author has written a short book with the challenges and the other side of the coin story. I liked your review and it had a flow to it.
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: You Speak Good English for a Nigerian by Oreoluwa Army

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Maybe I won't make billions after reading this book, but at least I can pick up some good tips on finance and entrepreneurship. This sounds like a great memoir. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”