Official Review: Crystal Meredith v Jefferson County Publ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Future Plans by Stacy Lee

Official Review: Crystal Meredith v Jefferson County Publ...

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crystal Meredith v Jefferson County Public Schools 05-915" by Teddy B. Gordon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The implementation of the ruling on Brown versus Topeka Board of Education 347 U.S. 483 (1954) was meant to desegregate public schools in the U.S. However, it began to outlive its usefulness, as quality education was sacrificed for diversity. Diversity is essential, especially for a country that has been divided along racial lines for so long. But to what length will the education boards go to ensure that a wasteful and regressive system is maintained just for the sake of diversity. They are willing to take it to the Supreme Court of the United States, and Teddy B. Gordon is not backing down as well. He is ready to fight a system that has perpetuated poverty despite its well-intended goals. For him, his determination to fight for the American people not only ensures that the concept of "The American Dream" is kept alive, but it also leads to the fulfillment of a dream for a young man who grew up in Louisville, Kentucky. Crystal Meredith v. Jefferson County Public Schools 05-915 by Teddy B. Gordon, Esq. is a journey into the making of the most significant civil rights case of this decade, if not this century.

This story is genuinely compelling, not just the court cases but also the family history and lives that the Gordons have built for themselves in America. It is a true American story that exalts the American cultural, political, and legal climates. Of course, it doesn't shy away from the bullshits, too (this language is quite common throughout the book, though). The author tells his side of the story — the good, the bad, and the ugly. Although the theme revolves around law and legislation, the human stories therein make this narrative relatable; it breaks the story down into components the reader can understand. Its simple yet descriptive language (with legal terminologies here and there) makes this book educative and enjoyable.

Overall the arrangement of this book is nicely made, especially the way each event is arranged in chapters. It is mentioned that this book is printed on-demand, and I can understand the importance of having a first-hand recount of events as a source of reference for students of law and attorneys as well, and also for the American people who desire to understand their history. Readers who are conversant with legal terms and the various cases alluded to will find this book an easy read. Perhaps an appendix can be added at the end of the book to explain specific terms and summarize various cases quoted in the book. However, this is just my observation, and it does not affect my overall opinion of the book.

There were some notable grammatical errors in this book and broken sentences (e.g., page 46). This book could use another round of thorough editing. The plethora of grammatical mistakes was the only thing I found to be off-putting.

I will recommend this book to readers interested in the education reforms in the United States, especially related to civil rights. If all Americans can read this book, that will be great too. Finally, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. One point is removed purely because of the number of errors. Its content is not only historic but also inspiring, an absolute personification of "The American Dream."

Crystal Meredith v Jefferson County Public Schools 05-915
View: on Bookshelves
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by El_limitless »

A book about the educational system of the United States and the challenges it faces will be interesting to read. I'm definitely checking this out. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”