Official Review: Memoirs of the 90 Year Old Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Official Review: Memoirs of the 90 Year Old Man

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memoirs of the 90 Year Old Man" by Lenny Lowengrub.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lenny Lowengrub wrote Memoirs of the 90 Year Old Man. I regard the overall content of this book as a part of the life of the author, which I found incredible, entertaining, adventurous, and daunting. The events disclosed range from his childhood and adulthood years. Lenny wrote about his friends, some random people he met, travel adventures, work-life, and family. He also disclosed the years of some remarkable occurrences in his life, such as when he got married, had his kids, and bought his first car and house.

A chapter contained each personal story. The presence of a heading showed the start of a new chapter, and each of these headings reflected different points. Some of them are the core lessons he learnt from an experience like “Can’t Please Everyone,” the focus of the chapter like “My Friendly Joker,” and what he thought about a situation like “I Hope They Don’t Laugh At Me.”

Furthermore, a particular heading put me in suspense and piqued my curiosity such that I wondered what the topic revolved around. It is titled “Life Changed in Israel.”

Memoirs usually have an engaging effect on me, as it sometimes tells the undiluted experiences of its author. This book does not differ from this.

At the point of choosing this memoir, I had predicted that the author would have a lot to write about and consequently make the book quite detailed. I based this prediction on the fact that the page number wasn’t disclosed. However, I was surprised when I discovered there were 69 pages, and I felt it wasn't exhaustive enough. At a point, its length didn’t bother me anymore because the information revealed was just enough.

Sadly, there were some inconsistencies in this book. On page 22, the author stated that as of 1976, he was married to his wife for about 19 years. However, on page 23, he wrote that in 1985, he was happily married to his wife for about 8 years. Also, as short as the book is, it contains numerous errors, which reflects the need for another round of editing. Due to this discrepancy and errors, it’s hard to give it a perfect rating. Therefore, I have no other choice than to rate it three out of four stars. Regardless, I enjoyed reading his book.

Anyone interested in reading about the life of the author will find this book worthy of their time, and I confidently recommend it to them.

Memoirs of the 90 Year Old Man
View: on Bookshelves
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Thanks for the amazing review!
Memoirs serve as a gateway to another person's life, and we could always a learn a thing or two from it.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

The inconsistencies are a bit interesting, I wonder if it’s simply the fact of all the years passing or if he’s taking artistic liberties with his life story. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”