Official Review: Reaching The Top of Forgiveness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: Reaching The Top of Forgiveness

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reaching The Top of Forgiveness" by Rosemary Green.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reaching The Top of Forgiveness is a non-fiction book written by Rosemary V. Green. The author’s life is described, including tragedy, illness, grief, and forgiveness. She has learned that if you can forgive, you can heal and live again. She also believes that God can bring you out of the dark, and faith has carried her through the hardest of times.

Rosemary grew up in an African-American community, where violence and drug use were prevalent. Her mother, Gwendolyn, was a virtuous woman of God and brought her children up to see the value of education. Her mother had two jobs to provide for the family as her father suffered from a drug addiction problem. These problems were never an excuse for disrespect, and Gwendolyn set a fine example to the children, providing a strict and fun lifestyle.

Rosemary enjoyed a close relationship with her parents and met her husband to be, Eric. Both her parents liked Eric, and the family drew even closer when Eric attended church and devoted himself to Christ. Soon into their marriage, Eric and Rosemary shared the joyous news that they were expecting a baby. The family rejoiced and prepared for the new arrival. On February 6th, 2002, Rosemary went to work and had her usual telephone conversation with her mother at lunchtime. Little did Rosemary know that this would be the last time she would talk to her beloved mother. A family member murdered Gwendolyn, shocking the family. Finding forgiveness was an arduous journey, and the author provides a personal insight into her recovery.

The author provides two facts within the book. The first is one in ten women will suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and the second is that women are twice as likely as men to develop PTSD. These facts shine a light on an important issue. The book helps to express that more attention is needed to help people recover from traumatic experiences, whether that being more access to therapy or more education to the population about managing PTSD symptoms and supporting loved ones who may be suffering. I admired the author as she is honest and open about her journey after experiencing trauma. She admits to depression and suicidal thoughts and also mistakes she made along the way regarding her marriage. I enjoyed the honesty of the author, as I think the book will resonate with many readers.

The author discusses her struggles with illness after her traumatic event. The author spent time consumed with anger, hatred, bitterness, and a desire for revenge. She describes how all these negative emotions prevented her from healing. She believes that her sickness, anxiety, stress, and depression resulted from an unwillingness to forgive. When she could release these negative emotions and begin healing, it improved her physical and mental health. I appreciated this powerful message, as sometimes we don’t realise how our state of mind affects our day-to-day health.

I enjoyed the back-story of Rosemary’s family life. Her mother seemed to be an inspiring person who gave everything to her children, despite adversities. Faith in God has been paramount in Rosemary’s family, and she states it is God that is the way to escape the pain of trauma and that he will guide you to the light and provide healing. The author explains that we owe it to God to forgive others. The book has a religious theme, and I believe it is better suited to a reader of the Christian faith, as many of the healing techniques discussed surround following God and accepting him into your life.

I found nothing to dislike about his book. I only found one spelling and grammar mistake, so I think it is exceptionally edited. I admired the author’s honesty and insight into her personal experiences. She provides solace to readers that no matter how hard life can be, there is always light at the end of the tunnel. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Readers will appreciate the book if they are looking for guidance after trauma, and especially those of the Christian faith.

Reaching The Top of Forgiveness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Indeed if you can forgive, you can heal and live again. Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I hope as certainly not expecting what happened to her mother. It’s very brave of Rosemary to share her story and her trauma. I’m glad she’s been able to heal, at least to an extent, and now she’s helping others do the same. Thanks for the great review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”