Official Review: Epidemic of bipolar disorders destroying...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2021 Reading Goal: 165
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Epidemic of bipolar disorders destroying U.S. and our children by George Isaac, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1

Official Review: Epidemic of bipolar disorders destroying...

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Epidemic of bipolar disorders destroying U.S. and our children" by George Isaac, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Under the Hippocratic oath, physicians undertake to benefit their patients and abstain from harming them. However, what if the treatment makes the condition worse because the diagnosis is completely wrong?

In his non-fiction book Epidemic of Bipolar Disorders Destroying U.S. And Our Children, George Isaac, MD, sounds the alarm about a trend he has noticed over more than 50 years in psychiatry. He believes that patients who are truly suffering from bipolar spectrum disorders are often misdiagnosed with a range of other conditions, including the increasingly common diagnoses of autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The latter could even be dangerous because stimulants prescribed for ADHD could exacerbate the mania that is part of bipolar disorder. He discusses all facets of this in the book, including examples from his own practice and a comprehensive analysis of the cases of two mass shooters. He uses these to illustrate the dangers of missing and mistreating bipolar disorders.

Notably, Dr. Isaac explicitly refrains from blaming the professionals involved in those cases. One significant positive aspect of this book is the author's compassion, which prompts him to do everything he can to ensure patients receive appropriate treatment. This book has a fascinating connection with the COVID-19 pandemic on two fronts. Firstly, Dr. Isaac considers the bipolar situation an epidemic; as such, combating it should represent the next big challenge for the medical community once the pandemic has been tamed. Secondly, the author's own brush with COVID-19 galvanized him into getting his message out quickly. I'll let him tell you more in his own words:

"Consider this as a free-flowing conversation with an elderly psychiatrist, who has spent practically all his adult life, as a medical doctor, psychiatrist, and child psychiatrist trying to understand and provide treatment for people of all ages suffering from psychiatric problems. ... This book is a result of what I learned from those efforts, specifically the story of misunderstood and misdiagnosed bipolar-disorder-suffering-children and adults fighting a somewhat lonely fight against the bipolar epidemic ... Tragic as this story of Bipolar Disorder is, I feel rewarded that I had the good fortune to stumble upon this reality and share my understandings with all of you." (Epidemic of Bipolar Disorders Destroying U.S. and Our Children by George Isaac, MD, pp.214-215.

He writes this by way of explaining the disorganization of a book he put out in haste. Indeed, a drawback of the book is that it is rough and unedited. I encountered many punctuation errors, inconsistent and incorrect capitalization, and a lot of repetition. A definition of bipolar disorder comes rather late in the book; as the author admits himself, this should probably come nearer the beginning!

Despite all this, most passages read quite smoothly. The work contained many astute observations from Dr. Isaac's own practice, including in India in the 1970s. While it is too unpolished to receive a perfect rating, I give this book three out of four stars because it includes some excellent content. Additionally, Dr. Isaac's mission to put his insights on record is a noble one. I particularly recommend this to mental health professionals and patients as well as the families of those with psychiatric conditions.

Calling bipolar disorder "the great masquerader", Dr. Isaac stresses that there are many misdiagnosed people out there. Therefore, if any symptom he describes rings a bell, you need to read this. A current diagnosis such as ADHD, autism or borderline personality disorder could be incorrect. I hope that Dr. Isaac will now find the time to pen a revised edition of this book. It could be improved through the elimination of some repetition, on the one hand, and through the inclusion of more in-depth research, on the other. It could then become a truly valuable tool to aid physicians in their mission to help, rather than harm, their patients.

Epidemic of bipolar disorders destroying U.S. and our children
View: on Bookshelves
Pronouns: she, her
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
Piece Nkem
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piece-nkem.html
Latest Review: The Chrysalis and the Creatures of the Highlands by Bruce Rowe

Post by Piece Nkem »

Bipolar spectrum disorders sound like a topic I want to read. I'll get it.
Booklover Becca
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Possible by William H. Barr

Post by Booklover Becca »

I’m glad the author is bringing attention to such an important topic. I hope he fixes the errors you’ve mentioned so it’s taken even more seriously. Thanks for the great review
ButterscotchCherrie
Latest Review: Epidemic of bipolar disorders destroying U.S. and our children by George Isaac, MD

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 16 May 2021, 05:30 A clear and candid review. I would love to check it myself.
There were facts in it I hadn't considered before. Thanks for stopping by!
ButterscotchCherrie

Piece Nkem wrote: 16 May 2021, 06:57 Bipolar spectrum disorders sound like a topic I want to read. I'll get it.
It does contain some interesting information. Thank you for reading and commenting!
ButterscotchCherrie

Booklover Becca wrote: 17 May 2021, 10:27 I’m glad the author is bringing attention to such an important topic. I hope he fixes the errors you’ve mentioned so it’s taken even more seriously. Thanks for the great review
Yes, it's good that he managed to finish the rough draft - I hope he stays well enough to produce an edited version now!
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: God's Clear Voice by Anthony Mark Ortiz

Post by MsH2k »

I know two people who have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and I would be interested in learning more about this condition. Dr. Isaac’s observations sound comprehensive; hopefully a revision is in the works. Thank you for your thorough review!
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland
ButterscotchCherrie

MsH2k wrote: 18 May 2021, 01:02 I know two people who have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and I would be interested in learning more about this condition. Dr. Isaac’s observations sound comprehensive; hopefully a revision is in the works. Thank you for your thorough review!
It's interesting because the implications of the diagnosis are very different than they are for other conditions. The doctor stresses that psychiatrists must take their time. Thanks for stopping by - it's good to see you!
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

I believe the book will be immensely valuable to the psychiatrics who treat patients with bipolar disorders. Your review is detailed and very informative .
ButterscotchCherrie

DANAWEB wrote: 18 May 2021, 07:39 I believe the book will be immensely valuable to the psychiatrics who treat patients with bipolar disorders. Your review is detailed and very informative .
I hope psychiatrists will be able to apply it well. Thank you for your comment!
Josephe-Anne
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: A Sliver of a Chance by Brian Sankarsingh
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I believe that Dr. Isaac is correct that misdiagnosis often occurs with mental health issues. It's more complicated dealing with mental health issues than treating physical health problems. I'm sure this book can be useful for patients, their families, and anyone interested in learning about psychiatric practices.

Thank you so much for your insightful review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
zainherb
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Living Forward After Loss by Kathleen Ho

Post by zainherb »

Bipolar disorder is an interesting topic. I hope I get to read the book soon despite the errors in it.
Thank you for the honest review.
:techie-reference:
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Bad Ideas for Living by Jon Rubinstein

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book will really be of great help to everyone. I believed Dr. Isaac's teaching will be an eyeopener to people on medical field and everyone at large. Thanks for an insightful review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Cultural Chauvinism by Minabere Ibelema

Post by markodim721 »

A really unusual approach by the author. I like that the book was written from rich medical experience. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”