Review by Karissa Schilling -- 80Bites The Dancers Diet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Karissa Schilling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karissa-schilling.html
Latest Review: Lessons For Kids to Learn by D.L.Kelly

Review by Karissa Schilling -- 80Bites The Dancers Diet

Post by Karissa Schilling »

[Following is a volunteer review of "80Bites The Dancers Diet" by PhysicalMind Institute.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

80Bites: The Dancers Diet is a digital dietary and wellness guide created by Joan Breibart and Meredith Luce, cofounders of the PhysicalMind Institute. Their guide examines how eating properly and managing hormones is the key to achieving healthy weight loss. The first half of the book focuses on four core concepts: quantity, frequency, balance, and quality. The reader is guided by a step-by-step process for each concept, with a total of twelve steps in all. Each step ends with a checklist of reminders and tasks to complete before moving on to the next step. Images embedded with video links are included to provide the reader with further information on certain topics if desired. These videos typically feature the authors or other professionals in the diet and nutrition industry. Meal-prepping charts and food lists are included to further help the reader understand the ideas presented.

The next part examines how hormones are affected by foods and how those effects impact weight gain or weight loss. The second half of the book was authored by Breibart and Luce, as well as Mary Beth Langlinais, a registered dietician. Additionally, the myths behind “good” versus “bad” foods and dieting fads are critically discussed. Over the course of thirteen chapters, the authors examine hormones, fasting, the 80Bites program, nutritional knowledge, water consumption, carbohydrates, proteins, fat, micro-nutrients, supplements, metabolism, digestion, and inflammation. These chapters are followed by brief biographies for each of the authors and an appendix of nutritional charts. The book ends with a section containing articles and information that further build on the main ideas presented by the authors.

This book had many positive aspects and was a relatively quick and easy read. In the first part, the visual graph on each page of a new step of the dietary process helps keep the reader aware of their progress and acts as a guide for quick referencing. The videos presented throughout the twelve steps of the 80Bites program give the reader the ability to learn beyond what is presented in the guide. Additionally, the authors do a good job of explaining the many scientific terms used when discussing nutrition. As someone with a basic knowledge of nutrition, I was able to understand most of what the authors were presenting and felt that they explained the nutritional science in layman’s terms. This allowed the guide to effectively convey both the authors’ ideas and the science behind them.

My primary complaints about this book reside with the numerous errors and the quality of the images. I found many grammatical and typographical errors throughout the book, indicating that there was no professional editing prior to its publication. For a digital book that uses images on every other page, the quality of the pictures was disappointing. Though they were mostly still viewable and readable, I had to strain my eyes to read the charts near the end of the guide, which is unfortunate because they contain useful nutritional information.

Regardless of the errors and low-quality images, I give 80Bites a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I did not feel that the errors detracted from the value of the information presented and the quality of the images may be due to the download quality of the digital copy. Overall, I was impressed by how effectively the authors conveyed their ideas pertaining to the 80Bites program and how they were able to explain the nutritional science in an easy-to-understand format. I would recommend this book to adolescents and older, though the dietary aspects of the book are more relevant to adult readers.

80Bites The Dancers Diet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”