Official Review: The Reluctant Refugee by George M Decsy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Official Review: The Reluctant Refugee by George M Decsy

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reluctant Refugee" by George M Decsy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reluctant Refugee: Are lingering memories worth retaining? is a memoir by George M. Decsy. This memoir begins in 1989 when George receives word from Hungary that his biological father, whom he never met, is on his deathbed. He wants to go back to Budapest and meet with him. The first part of the book is a flashback to 1956 when George and his mother, together with his two half-siblings, escaped Hungary. Gita, George’s mother, wanted to go to America, but the family finds a new home in the United Kingdom. There they await a reunion with George’s stepfather, Julius. Another part of the book is also about George’s assimilation into England. Mostly, this book is telling a story about George’s childhood.

“Is the place we call ‘home’ a mere accident of birth or where one finds comfortable refuge? Is ‘father’ the unwitting sperm donor or the man who is there to catch you when you fall, shows the way when lost, tucks you in, reads you to sleep?”

This quote sums up the premise of this memoir very well. We are all products of our environment. Nevertheless, these are the questions we often ask ourselves. The author takes us through his past, and each reader will relate and reminisce about his own story. Past shapes us in an unfathomable way. I applaud the author for writing such a vulnerable and personal story. That is my favorite part of this book. It is honest, realistic, raw, and perfectly imperfect. The recollection of George’s life in vivid colors took me on a melancholy journey.

I wish that there were more stories about George as an adult. There is only one chapter with him arriving in Hungary and meeting with his father. I’m also curious how the author chooses which memories to share with us. Because here we have specific things shared with the reader and then little when the author was older. None of those things affected my rating or reading experience. They are all my subjective observation.

If you are interested in a family-based story told through years and various countries, this is a book for you. I would recommend this book to all readers of historical fiction, memoirs, and biographies. Keep in mind that some topics discussed can be triggering. There is the talk of abuse, war, death, and regime-ridden country.

I would rate this book with four out of four stars. There are no apparent grammatical errors, and editing is marvelous. The reader, on the other hand, must become accustomed to the writing style. Once the author mentions something, he, later on, has a habit of using abbreviations. Because this book moved me and made me retrospect on my journey, it was very emotional and, as mentioned, edited well. So, I can’t rate it with anything less than a perfect score.

The Reluctant Refugee
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Mercy119
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

The quote you shared reveals the relevance of the title. I like that the author opened up about his life since many can relate to his predicament.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

I haven't read a family book from long time. I would definitely love to read the book.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a great story to transport you back to a time in the past, but as you said the past is what shapes us. Thanks for the great revirw
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Great review based on which I wanted to read the book. Everything that is most valuable in the book is highlighted in the right way.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Fireside119 wrote: 13 May 2021, 10:37 The quote you shared reveals the relevance of the title. I like that the author opened up about his life since many can relate to his predicament.
Yes, it definitely sets the tone of the book. Thank you for reading.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kanchan Sharma wrote: 14 May 2021, 06:30 I haven't read a family book from long time. I would definitely love to read the book.
I hope you enjoy it!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Booklover Becca wrote: 14 May 2021, 15:02 What a great story to transport you back to a time in the past, but as you said the past is what shapes us. Thanks for the great revirw
And thank you for reading!
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This memoir by George M. Decsy, "The Reluctant Refugee," delves deep into the complexities of identity and belonging. As he confronts his past in Hungary and grapples with the notion of fatherhood, the narrative resonates with raw honesty.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Patel Khushi Manishbhai
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Markus Zusak
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: To the Lighthouse
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patel-khushi-manishbhai.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke
fav_author_id: 2540

Post by Patel Khushi Manishbhai »

I have always been fascinated by stories on family dynamics especially if they are well portrayed. As you mentioned, a brutal portrayal of characters always earns bonus points. Thank you for the detailed review. While the book is filled with many themes, I am not ready for a refugee story. Congratulations on the BOTD.
Ni_weh_sesh62
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Memoirs aren't my thing, I am not the right audience. I am sure it must be an interesting read for those who are into it, with some valid questions as mentioned by the reviewer: the definition of home, and the definition of father.
Idowu Sonaya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Idowu Sonaya »

This is definitely a fantastic family story, that makes everyone to reflect on the importance of a Father figure. It is not an ordinary occurrence for a child to have an opportunity to meet a father he or she has never met before. The story line is full of promises, and I will ask everyone to go and read it.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

This memoir sounds like an fascinating family story. I wonder how a biological link could drive someone to go all the way to Hungary and finally meet a father they've never seen before. I should read this book to find out.
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Sia_young
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: Healing Wounds of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sia-young.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong
fav_author_id: 2719
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Sia_young »

Life stories of people aren't the type of books I prefer to read. But this book looks interesting, maybe I would give it a try. Also the quote mentioned from the book is deep and generates curiosity.
Good review.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

The official review does paint a picture of a book that I would like to read. The ‘Reluctant Refugee’ has curiosity and yearnings about his Hungarian origins. An engrossing read, and would satisfy others in the same situation, of which there are many.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”