Official Review: Like Hawaii without the people

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Official Review: Like Hawaii without the people

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Like Hawaii without the people" by Howard McCrindle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like Hawaii without the people by Howard McCrindle is a memoir of the author's time in Somalia. The book contains themes of hardship, resilience, poverty, and adventure. The 218-page book is divided into 40 chapters.

In 1999, Howard was employed to head a research project in the old town of Laas Qoray, situated in the Sanaag region of northeast Somalia. While this old town laid in abject poverty, they had an untapped resource that could put the whole town out of its misery. The sea around them was full of high-quality fishes like snapper, grouper, and yellowfin tuna. But they had no means of preserving and transporting these fishes to markets where it could fetch them thousands of dollars. Therefore, the project was set up to improve many local people by upgrading fishing practices, the local infrastructure and securing suitable market connections for them. Alone in a foreign land, faced with the language barrier and limited resources, Howard is torn between his commitment to helping the community he has come to love and just going back home. Read up to learn more about this life-changing adventure of the author.

The writing style is simple and straightforward. I appreciate the fact that the author was detailed in his narrative. He included pictures of both people and places from the project. This helped in developing mental images of the adventure and brought the story to life. The title of the book is a phrase that was uttered in the book in a description of some of the sceneries in Laas Qoray. They had a beautiful beach and lands filled with tall palm trees but undisturbed by tourists.

The book was enlightening. Reading about the level of struggle and hardship makes you appreciate civilization. The people of Laas Qoray were exceptionally hardworking and loving. I like how Howard was able to meet them on level ground. The humility displayed endeared him to them. He was able to form bonds of friendship with many of them, which remained even after he left. His level of resilience was quite encouraging. He endured hallucinations, dehydration, and diarrhea. I also loved that he wrote about the progress that had been made twenty-one years after his visit.

There is nothing I dislike about the book. I must commend the author for writing such a beautiful memoir. It was not just about him, and that made the book an exciting read. It was a well-laced book with humor and well edited. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to lovers of fishing, Africa stories, and adventures. You will be getting an amazing look into the life and culture of the people of Laas Quay.

Like Hawaii without the people
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The title is something I don't understand. The story is great. And the act of helping others without knowing the language is hard and it deserves acknowledgement and praise.
Thank you for a detailed review!
sallystai234
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by sallystai234 »

The title is confusing. Though it is a great plot with the fact that he managed to create a strong bond of friendship with people even without having something to take home with. its inspiring.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

This is the first time I have heard Somalia painted in such a beautiful way. Glad to read the author compares the place to Hawaii. Thank you for a lovely review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m very interested to see what choice Howard makes in the end and I’m glad Somalia is portrayed as such a positive place. Thanks for the great review!
Md Tahminul Islam
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Md Tahminul Islam »

Its interesting to know the author's personal experiences in the foreign lands, the challenges encountered, and how they were tackled.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”