Official Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Surviving Chaos by Harold Phifer

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surviving Chaos" by Harold Phifer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surviving Chaos, by Harold Phifer, follows the author's extraordinary life experiences. Growing up in a dysfunctional family with a sick mother and without a father, he was subjected to emotional and physical abuse. However, he never lost control of his life. From childhood through adulthood, he tried to hold his head up high amid poverty, abandonment, bullying, and racial discrimination.

Trying to get healed from the humiliation and pain he suffered due to his family of origin, marriage, and past jobs, Harold took a job as an international contractor in Afghanistan, where he survived an attack. Afterwards, he went to Thailand and started living in carefree way, "hiding from life." Fortunately, one day, at a beach bar, he encountered an older man, who coerced him into unveiling his life journey. After telling the stranger the story of his life, Harold felt a sense of relief and was stimulated to go back to his job in Afghanistan.

Surviving Chaos is light and gripping. It's jam-packed with intriguing events that happened during the author's childhood, teenagehood, and adult life. Narrating his stories back and forth, Harold tells about his adventures, school life, bullies, friends, neighborhood, and family, particularly his mother's schizophrenic episodes and constant rants. Though I felt for her, I loved reading the parts of the book involving her.

The book is hilarious and unputdownable. Containing 249 pages, it's a quick read. I commend the author for his ability to relate such a heartbreaking story in a funny way. According to him, he used humor to sustain himself throughout the story and his life because logic didn't apply. I like his straightforward and suspenseful writing style, which makes the book seem more like a novel than a memoir.

There's nothing I don't like about the book except that, at the beginning, I just couldn't accept certain things the author said he and his brothers did. For example, as a child, during a confrontation between his mother and a teacher, his 3-year-old younger brother "smirked back at him." Maybe, some 3-year-olds can do that. Anyway, it's the author's story, and he told it in an engrossing manner.

Finally, I rate Surviving Chaos 4 out of 4 stars. It doesn't deserve a lower rating since it's well written and amusing. Moreover, it was professionally edited; I noticed only a couple of typos. Though readers who don't enjoy non-fiction books may not want to read it, it'll be a worthwhile read for those who like life-changing memoirs.

Surviving Chaos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I like that the author injects humor into his memoir, which makes it palatable despite his struggles. This is a story of hope that will inspire people who have hit rock bottom.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

I am looking forward to read a book having humour. Its a very good review. Thanks for your hardwork.
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

This story that gives hope to the hopeless, guidance and perseverance, never to give up, no matter what life throws at us, weldone to the author. Great review
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s so important to stay positive in the face of such rough events in life and it sounds like that’s exactly what this author did. Thanks for the great review!
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Thank you all for stopping by, as well as for your nice comments. 😊
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

It is warmly wholesome for me, knowing that he still has the ability to smile and be humorous even if life gets him down. I hope this book would give out hope and comfort to those people who are struggling with life. Thanks for the review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your review. Despite the hardships in his life, it seems Harold is an optimistic person who uses humor to lighten his heart.
Sempote Toplom
Currently Reading: Colors
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sempote Toplom »

I really like the story , it's a good guidance and perseverance .And never give up for what you are doing in life.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

A book that is hilarious and light is needed when one need to have a good time. I understand the one aspect that you didn't agree with the author and the brother did when they were younger.
Edidiong Ebong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edidiong-ebong.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Edidiong Ebong »

It's a touching story that would definitely inspire people going through trials and tribulations to pick up the mantle and wall again. Surviving chaos is never an easy thing. Thank you for the review.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

Thank you for the great review, no matter how harsh the circumstances in this life are
You have to face it and move forward, not give up. Howard used humor in his life so he could move on.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an inspirational non-fiction memoir highlighting a difficult childhood, war, forgetfulness, memory, and uncovering one`s journey. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats @RnRFreePress on the BOTD selection.
Lynda Howard
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynda-howard.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Lynda Howard »

I love non-fiction books, and I love that this book is jam-packed with intriguing events that happened during the author’s childhood and into his adult life. The fact that it is told in an amusing light-hearted way is even better and this one is definitely going on my bookshelf.
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

Well... I think a 3 yo is capable of smirking... I've seen a handful whenever I visit day care institutions. It's also good that the book does have humor.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”