Official Review: Feelings First Shadow Work by Benjy Sherer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Feelings First Shadow Work by Benjy Sherer

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Feelings First Shadow Work" by Benjy Sherer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The moment you change your perception of a past trauma from ‘the thing that made you a victim’ into ‘the thing that made me the best and happiest version of myself by pushing me to heal wounds I didn’t know I had’, it instantly becomes a good - or at least acceptable - experience." - Page 73

The quote above was my favorite from the practical self-help guide that is Feelings First Shadow Work: A Simple Approach To Self Love And Emotional Mastery by Benjy Sherer. Feelings First Shadow Work presents a detailed process of understanding uncomfortable emotions that we have experienced due to various traumatic experiences and learning how to confront and release all of these emotions. Unlike most methods that focus on healing through intellectual activity, which involves a focus on the events that caused the emotions in the past, Benjy Sherer's shadow work aims primarily at your emotions and letting them flow through you. As a consequence of undergoing the process detailed here, readers can expect to achieve massive improvements in self-love and higher levels of consciousness.

The author is not a medical professional, but his background in philosophy and world religions is fully on display in this well-referenced book. I found it very easy to relate to the author's lessons here, and most readers will too, as trauma is something that most people have gone through in different forms and the author covers things empathetically from different angles.

The first thing that stands out in this book is his ability to present his information in a simple and easy-to-understand manner, especially on a topic that can be complicated at times. He favors a stepwise approach and emphasizes the importance of following his strategies in the way it is arranged, as he draws comparisons with lifting weights; it is impractical to start lifting 200-pound weights at the beginning. Benjy Sherer also doesn't hesitate to apply relevant metaphors to simplify things and help readers paint a full picture.

With respect to the lessons to be learned, he introduced a lot of new concepts to me and even corrected some of the old ones I knew about. The first one was the popular use of journalling. While he agrees that it is a tool in dealing with emotions and even includes a 21-day journaling exercise in the book, he also discusses its limitations, as it helps you access these emotions but doesn't help in dealing with them without the other tools in this book. I also got to learn about the three brains (the head, heart, and gut) that we have, the importance of aligning all three brains, and how to achieve this alignment.

I cannot think of anything I dislike about the content of the book and its organization. However, I found over ten errors while reading. The errors were mostly minor hyphenation errors and did not reduce my enjoyment of the book too much.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this Feelings First Shadow Work, and its importance in helping us live our best lives cannot be overstated. It is one thing to read the book but another to put it into practice continuously, and I look forward to achieving the second and most important part. The errors I found prevent me from awarding the maximum rating according to the rules. Therefore, the book earns three out of four stars from me. Readers who wish to improve their emotional control and build self-love will benefit greatly from this guide.

Feelings First Shadow Work
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad the author makes his work so easily understood on such an important topic. Your comment on letting emotions run through you resonates with me. Feel what you need to feel, but move on and heal, don’t fixate on what went wrong. Thanks for the great review!
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Area 51 would really be a wonderful place to be, because love is a beautiful thing. Great review would really love to read this book.
Kanchan Sharma
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Kanchan Sharma »

The review is interesting and intriguing. I am eager to read the book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”