Official Review: The Educator by Pamela Green-Nanni

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Official Review: The Educator by Pamela Green-Nanni

Post by Marcel Cantu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Educator" by Pamela Green-Nanni.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Educator by Pamela Green-Nanni is a nonfiction book written about the career and practices of Pamela Green-Nanni’s husband, Bernard F. Nanni. Bernard Nanni was a teacher for more than thirty years and taught multiple school subjects to elementary and middle school-aged children. Mr. Nanni strove to be a personal and unique teacher that bettered students in all areas and compelled them to learn how to truly think and discover for themselves.

Within Pamela Green-Nanni’s book are many examples of what her husband did in the classroom to create an exceptional learning environment. These habits include interactive learning games, field trips, open discussion, and practical application of school curriculum with everyday life. Mr. Nanni’s lessons encouraged his students to work together, think critically, and reason independently. One of the stories that most stood out detailed a camping trip Mr. Nanni took his students on where he created opportunities for leadership, trust, and hands-on learning. During the field trips, students were responsible for keeping their cabin orderly, creating maps of the campsite, and overcoming obstacles as a team. These valuable experiences were what made Mr. Nanni a truly exceptional teacher that continued to inspire his students long after they had left his classroom.

What I enjoyed most about this book were the practical ideas and examples of lesson activities that could be included in the classroom to encourage specific attributes among students. Pamela Green-Nanni lists examples of activities, conversations, and displays created in the classroom to engage students and help them take charge of their learning. I love that Mr. Nanni had such a focus on practical education and did so much to relate learning to student’s lives. What I disliked about the book was the lack of educational psychology or scientific support for Mr. Nanni’s strategies. Some of Mr. Nanni’s techniques were outdated and none were substantiated with quantifiable evidence of success.

I would give The Educator by Pamela Green-Nanni a three out of four stars rating. This book is a valuable resource that contains many practical ideas that teachers could implement in their classrooms to encourage participation and creative thinking. This book could have been better organized and could have included a little more research and data to make it a truly reliable source for educational information and practice, but overall, the text was well done. The book was also very well edited and contained no spelling or grammatical errors.

I would recommend this book to educators who are looking for unique activities to implement within their classrooms. Most of Mr. Nanni’s activities are targeted at elementary and middle school-aged students, but some could be adapted for older students as well. The book contains ideas for math and science as well as for writing and religious classes.

The Educator
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I am not very interested in non-fiction books. Thank you for your review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Naaya123 wrote: 09 May 2021, 23:41 I am not very interested in non-fiction books. Thank you for your review!
Thank you for stopping by!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The list of activities mentioned are really useful in teaching important lessons to children. Field trips is the best way to give an outdoor experience and learn new qualities. Thank you for an informative review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Teaching is not an easy task, and discovering your gift for teaching is very important. There are a lot of teachers that do not love their job, so I hope this book will be helpful. Thank you for this inspiring review!
Mercy119
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

This sounds like a nonfiction book that's right up my alley. Although some of Mr. Nanni's methods seem outdated, I would like to read about the impact he had on his students. I commend the author for capturing her late husband's soul in this literary work.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I think it is really important to keep up to date with new ways of teaching, especially in the technological and fast-paced world we are in. Adult teachers could feel a bit "outdated" in their techniques, so it is crucial they share their ideas with other peers. Nice review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

A motivated and caring teacher is such a blessing! It sounds like he went above and beyond what was expected of him to reach his students and improve their lives. Thanks for an exceptional review!
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Thank you for the detailed and insightful review. I am sure educators would find it both inspiring and didactic. Good job!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This book could definitely give some useful new ideas for teachers! The way Mr. Nanni was teaching his classes sounds much more fun than I ever experienced during my school years.

Thanks for introducing this interesting book!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”