Official Review: Say My Name by Vickey Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: Say My Name by Vickey Robinson

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Say My Name" by Vickey Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Say My Name: Thoughts Of One Black Woman by Vickey Robinson is a book about the author's views on Black lives in America. She gives a brief history beginning when President Lincoln freed all slaves and continues through history to current times. The book covers the rights promised to all Americans. She includes information from Martin Luther King, President Obama's presidency, President Trump's presidency, the impact of COVID-19 on Black Americans who did not have jobs that could be worked from home, to name a few. After revealing the atrocities against Black Americans, she goes on to promote hope in her readers. However, do White Americans who already have better lives get more resources and support than Black Americans? Is there more we can do to get the help and support Black Americans need to live their lives the same as White Americans? Will discrimination ever stop? Is it too much for Black Americans to expect the same rights and protection from our civil servants who have sworn to protect them? Read this book before you answer any of these questions.

I admire Vickey Robinson's honesty in providing accurate information concerning Black American history. I enjoyed the pictures and the poetry she included in the book. It was easy to visualize the events Ms. Robinson describes in the book. I could sense her frustration with our governmental system and the fear she has for Black Americans, not only because of unequal opportunities but also for their lives.

There is nothing to dislike about this book. As the title states, the book consists of the author's thoughts, and she is entitled to have these thoughts. Some readers may disagree, but that does not make them wrong.

I believe a professional editor has edited this book. I found two minor errors that a professional editor could have easily overlooked. The pictures are strategically placed to correspond to the narrative. I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars. There is absolutely no reason to give this book fewer stars.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in Black history, civil rights, and discrimination. Sensitive readers need to be aware there is a small amount of borderline profanity in this book. This short book would make an excellent reading assignment for a high school English or History class. Children are our future and the ones that can bring change to our culture. Younger children will learn from them.

Say My Name
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
KanaSmriti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanasmriti.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner

Post by KanaSmriti »

Looks like a very good book with many sensitive topics. Thanks for the review.
Qer
Currently Reading: Immigrant Hustle
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by Qer »

Seems like the kind of book i'd not only read but keep somewhere near enough in my bookshelf to make sure my whole bloodline reads and internalizes it's virtues.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I am profoundly invested in Black Americans' literature and this seems definitely a must-read. I really think this kind of literature should be read by a wider public. Thanks for the detailed review!
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

I think this is a very timely book considering the prevalent situation. I personally feel it's good to create this awareness and promote justice for all races but the question stands, will it stop. I believe in seeking solutions to this seemingly unending problem.
Great job nonetheless.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A book that shows the stark reality. People have come a long way and still they haven't reached equal balance. Thank you for a great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think that the topic of discrimination is always current, to my immense regret. Thanks for the good review.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

This sounds like a very thought-provoking book, your take on the book makes it sound very intriguing and informational. I'd like to have a chance to read this book. Great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

What a difficult topic to address, I commend the author for writing it so well. Thanks for the great review!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I admire the contents of this book and appreciate the great review,..... I am interested in black history and find it educational and interesting. We all have so many opinions about discrimination, religion and human differences. I think every person should give books like this a try. Thanks for a very thoughtful review
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Say My Name by Vickey Robinson seems like an eye-opening journey through Black American history, touching on pivotal moments from Lincoln's era to the present. I want to explore her perspective on the challenges faced by Black Americans and the hope she offers.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

One could say that Black Americans have been handed the short end of the stick for a very long time. One could also argue that their rights should be looked into and probably given more thought. I'd love to know what the author's thoughts are on the topics raised. An excellent read for #BOTD and a very incisive review. Kudos.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by the author's views on Black lives in America. I am intrigued by the atrocities against Black Americans that the author will reveal in this book. I am interested in learning accurate information concerning Black American history.
Sara Rispo
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-rispo.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sara Rispo »

Thank you for your review! I completely agree with your assessment that this is a fantastic reading assignment for high school students. It's a book that offers valuable lessons for everyone and I'm certain it is also quite thought-provoking. I have added it to my reading list and I am eager to discover how the author tackled such a sensitive and crucial topic in their writing.
"Please, my dear, don't burn yourself to keep them warm".
K_mhie23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by K_mhie23 »

It's is an amazing plot.The Black people history was meticulously represented with the utilization of strong characters that have impacted on the liberation of slaves. This text is a constructive and a cognitive piece that does not only showcase the intricacies of the era but the disciplined, focused and consistencies of an individual. An example is emulating Martin Luther's king's personality in his consistent and focused drive for freedom.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”