Official Review: Time Is Ticcing Away by Chris Mason

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: Time Is Ticcing Away by Chris Mason

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time Is Ticcing Away" by Chris Mason.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tourette Syndrome (TS) is a neurological disorder often characterized by involuntary, sudden, rapid, and recurrent motor movements or vocalizations (“tics”) due to chemical imbalances in the brain. People with TS usually have either ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) or OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Chris Mason details his struggles with the disorder, the stereotyping and ridicule he faced while young, and his adult life after diagnosis and medication. Chris was the eldest child in the Mason family; his father was a stern man and a firm believer in not sparing the rod. There are also some behavioral problems associated with TS, including being angry, argumentative, and confrontational. This meant that Chris and his father were constantly fighting.

Chris also stammered when nervous and had a learning disability, especially when it came to arithmetic and algebra. Some of his teachers, like Mr. Jackson, did not accommodate his unique nature and punished him unfairly, even openly criticizing his stammering. Chris, therefore, became severely withdrawn and self-conscious. As a teenager, he got into more trouble, and on one occasion, the police were involved. This greatly strained the relationship between him and his family. His mother was his sole source of support and encouragement, and in early February 1990, Chris and his mother finally learned of TS over the radio. After a confirmed diagnosis, Chris began a new journey under medication. However, the medicines presented a new set of challenges due to their significant side effects, and Chris had to decide which he could handle best. Was it the “tics” or the side effects?

Time Is Ticcing Away is both a memoir and a guide to understanding TS. Chris is deliberate and blunt in his writing, revealing those who misunderstood and contributed to his misery while also acknowledging his mistakes and apologizing for them. Chris only gives single names and titles for most of his characters, including a general description, providing a relative picture of them, without being intrusive or overly exposing them. The descriptions of every situation, setting, and activity he is involved in are exquisite, making one visualize and experience the emotions attached to them. Amidst all the tragic and anger-inducing details of Chris’s life, he still infuses humor and fun, like the description of his first car as, half station wagon, half-metal box, and all bad.

My favorite aspect of the read is the wordplay in the chapter headings. For instance, chapter 7 is ‘worth the weight.’ It reflects the content, which is Chris’s weight gain and loss journey that almost turned tragic. I equally love the inspirational tone that the book maintains. Despite his challenging life, Chris is still grateful for it and achieved a lot in the process. For instance, he defied everyone’s expectations, including his father, and became a graduate of the San Francisco State University class of 1997. There is absolutely nothing to dislike about the book. It is a chronological study guide of TS at every life stage since everything unfolds as per Chris’s age and school grade. It describes how each symptom develops, their physical and mental effects on the person, and their overall quality of life.

I found only two spacing errors, evidence of the book’s professional editing. The language employed is intelligible and clean. Time Is Ticcing Away highlights issues of stigmatization as experienced first-hand by the author. His father criticized and stigmatized him while his siblings disregarded his condition. It also shows the irony of teachers being ill-equipped to deal with students with special needs and societal perception of mental health and related issues. I recommend this fascinating read to students of psychology and special education and anyone looking for a fun, educational, and heartwarming story. I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Time Is Ticcing Away
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I first learnt about TS from a movie. And this book will make a good read to understanding TS better. After I read that his father and siblings aren't supportive and add to the problem made me a little angry. Also to read about his par excellence achievements was great. Thank you for an informative review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s so unfortunate that we tend to ridicule people who are different I stead of trying to understand them and I’m sorry the author had to go through so much of that. Thanks for the great review!
Md Tahminul Islam
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Md Tahminul Islam »

Should be a book worth reading. The topic is quite unique and related to psychological issues, and many people suffer such problems which others often cannot realize.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”