Official Review: Let's Help You Self-Help!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Let's Help You Self-Help!

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Let's Help You Self-Help!" by Anthony Jacob Braaten.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let's Help You Self-Help!: An Inspirational, Passionate Handbook for YOUR Path is a guide to mental well-being written from the perspective of a recovering patient. Having been through depression, anxiety, an episode of psychosis, and various diagnoses, Anthony Jacob Braaten shares the most important lessons he's learned throughout the years to help people in similar circumstances.

The book consists of twelve sections focused on twelve fundamental skills the author considers vital in life. These sections are both deeply interconnected and independent: though they refer to one another and touch on recurring themes, the reader can view them in any order. That said, I recommend going through the entire book, especially since it's a short read. Even if you're well-read in self-help and psychology literature, you might still find useful advice and insights. For example, I had never heard about using "transitional objects" to ease the transition from one task to the next. It's a small tip only mentioned in passing, but I'm sure it will help me quite a bit.

Braaten encourages introspection by asking questions and providing space for journaling or note-taking. He also keeps an affectionate, cheerful tone throughout the book: "My friend, it's time you learn you are a great person, but until you know this, remain grateful for who you are now" (p. 40). While some passages might seem a bit silly to down-to-earth readers, they're necessary for counteracting our negative self-talk and defeatist beliefs (which, when viewed rationally, are not only silly but unhealthy). As the author points out, it's worth questioning why we accept the irrational, toxic things we tell ourselves but readily dismiss optimism and compliments from others.

One of the book's most important aspects to me is how it describes several insights and concepts I've often struggled to articulate in simple language. I tend to look for complexities and scrutinize every subject under logical and empirical lenses, which makes it hard for me to share advice with friends who also deal with mental issues in a digestible form. The author's straightforward, emotive writing fills this gap between depth and accessibility extremely well.

Let's Help You Self-Help! is a simple but effective guide for helping those going through hard times or simply wishing to change something about their lives. It's a well-edited book without glaring errors, and my only complaint is that I wanted to know more about the author and his struggles, but this isn't the book's focus anyway. For this reason, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Self-help connoisseurs won't find much new information but might still feel inspired by the writing. That said, readers who prefer analytical, evidence-based approaches to personal development and mental health should likely look elsewhere. Some people can also find the bubbly language and general presentation off-putting, so this book won't suit their tastes, but I suggest giving it a chance regardless.

Let's Help You Self-Help!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's is a self help book which really sounds helpful. The way of addressing the readers, talking about counteracting negative self talk makes it even better. Thank you for an insightful review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I feel like the most important point you touched upon is why we discount compliments but believe negative things so easily. This sounds like a well thought out book and I’d be happy to read more. Thanks for your insightful review
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

"My friend, it's time you learn you are a great person, but until you know this, remain grateful for who you are now"- :D :)
I think I will like reading this one.
Great review!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
JamesBooks
Favorite Book: Let's Help You Self-Help!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JamesBooks »

I felt the same way after reading this one. I love that quote. I'm going to promote it now! "My friend, it's time you learn you are a great person, but until you know this, remain grateful for who you are now." So sweet-sounding:)
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

It's always great to read a self-help book. Thanks for the amazing review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”