Official Review: Be Your Own Hero by Lesley Van Staveren

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Never Take Your Life by Shirley Ann Rich
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Be Your Own Hero by Lesley Van Staveren

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Be Your Own Hero" by Lesley Van Staveren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you still waiting for someone to come and make your life better? Perhaps you still place your happiness on other people and wish for a messiah to come and solve all your problems. Dear reader, Lesley Van Staveren, the author of Be Your Own Hero: 8 Steps to Transform Your Life, wants you to know that your destiny is in your hands.

Ms. Staveren recounts how she had to relocate from England to Australia to start her life all over after her failed first marriage. Before the relocation, the author concluded that her life was terrible. Fortunately, a shift in perspective and mindset helped her realize she was the only one who could take the opportunities that life had to offer her. Today, she considers that leap of faith and respect for her own opinions to be one of her best decisions. Through this book, the author intends to use her experience to help readers own the strengths that reside in them and be their own heroes.

I have read a lot of non-fiction books about how one can transform his or her life. However, this author's approach impressed me. For every one of the '8 Steps to Transform Your Life' that she listed, she used some questions to give insightful explanations of the steps. She instructs readers to write down their answers to the questions before she answers and explains them. What I like most about this book is how these questions seem to minister personally to me. And I believe most readers will feel the same way. For example, the author asks, "Do you have full trust in your own abilities to get you to where you want to be? If not, why not?" I find this question to be both inspiring and thought-provoking. Try and read this book for many more questions like that one.

Furthermore, I didn't expect the message in this book to resonate with me as much as it did. Maybe it's because the author used her experiences to provide her lessons; the teachings are relatable, and they highlight what we experience every day. My favorite message is about owning our mistakes. I am guilty of sometimes coming up with defense mechanisms instead of simply admitting that I am wrong. Thank you, Ms. Staveren, for these life-changing lessons.

To conclude, I think readers can already tell that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If I must nitpick, then I have to say that I didn't like the repetition of some points in the book. However, the many things I learned from this book made the issue negligible. The author's language is also easy to understand, and her tone is conversational. Therefore, I recommend this guidebook to readers who desire transformation in their lives, be it in terms of their relationships with others or how they perceive their inner strengths. I found some errors in the book; don't worry, they aren't distracting. So I am sure there's nothing left but to award this book a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. Happy reading as you work towards unleashing the hero in you!

Be Your Own Hero
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maggi3
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: A Divination of the Dog by A.M. Farrow

Post by maggi3 »

I love the idea of this book! I’m generally skeptical of self help books, but this one seems genuine and thought provoking. I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation and review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Asteroid Apophis Lord of Chaos by John S. Pritchett

Post by Kennedy NC »

Indeed our destiny is in our own hands and we are the only ones responsible for our own happiness. Great review here.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Kavita Shah »

We can change our lives 180 degree if we release the power that are within us. Thanks to the author that now we can realise it faster. Thank you for the review!
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

Ms.staveren chooses to be her own hero.She moves from England to Australia after realizing that life was terrible.This is an incredible story.Great review.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: The Educator by Pamela Green-Nanni

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a very helpful and important book. I love when a book can really apply to your situation and offer genuine advice and understanding. Great review!
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I completely agree with the author that you have to take responsibility for your own life. Another great review, thank you Saint Bruno!
MarveeAman
2021 Reading Goal: 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html

Post by MarveeAman »

Nice review! This book seems to be an interesting and thought-provoking read. I'll have to check it out.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Ada Ling »

How can we be our own heros? It is easy to ask but hard to achieve. Would like to know more how?
Wildflowertheorist
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentine.html

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Genuine self help books are a dime in a dozen and this one seems pretty great.
Excellent review!
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

I love this outlook on life. There’s so much more we could do in life if we take control. Thanks for the great review
RayRuff
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: Twilight of Innocence by I R Craig

Post by RayRuff »

I think I need to read this book. From the first couple of questions you asked, I found myself nodding at a few of them. Thank you for the review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Kike17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kike17.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Kike17 »

Failed relationships affect many. I would really love to read the whole story. Thanks for your review.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by WADonnelly »

I always find books like this are great reads. Wonderfully written review!
Reema Aydieh
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Reema Aydieh »

The name of the book and this review are enough to hook everyone into reading it. Well done!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”