Official Review: Holy Smoke by Rick Snedeker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Official Review: Holy Smoke by Rick Snedeker

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Holy Smoke" by Rick Snedeker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The United States of America is the land of the free. For decades, the US has sold the “American Dream” and has seen an influx of immigrants that believe that they will have the freedom to be anybody and anything. But is the US truly what it says it is? Rick Snedeker, in Holy Smoke, reveals how Christianity has crept its way into and put a steadfast hold on the lives of people living in the US. The author began by explaining the history of the United States and how the founding fathers traveled from Europe, especially Britain, to form what is now the US. He also discussed the roles of other European countries, including Spain, the Netherlands, and so on, in the formation of the US. The author then further discussed the denominations of Christianity and how they have affected the country so far.

I enjoyed this book a lot. It was insightful and delightfully objective. The author started with the well-curated history of the US, the roles of the founding fathers, the Indians, and African and Caribbean immigrants in the melting pot that was the early United States. I particularly enjoyed reading about Anne Hutchinson. It delighted me to learn that a woman played such a courageous role in American history. Another thing I enjoyed was the author’s reference. Snedeker was detailed in his explanations and their references but still managed to remain concise and on point.

I enjoyed that this book did not read to me like a witch-hunt on Christianity. The author acknowledged the positive effects of Christianity on American society. His valid argument, however, was that Christianity should not take precedence over other religions in America. The author’s progression was professional. After explaining the history of how Christianity came to be in the US, he explained modern Christianity and the effects of different Christian denominations on the country. He also explained the influence that Christianity has on the American schooling system. He made viable suggestions that can help America be a true land of freedom for all religions.

I did not dislike anything about this book. The editing was professional, and I only found a few minor errors. The author’s writing style, though not simple, fits the audience I think this book is meant for. The author provided occasional personal stories that helped to give the book a unique touch, but he still kept the overall tone professional. The author did a great job in presenting some of the histories of the US. I learned about the Salem witch trials and important non-conformists of that era who went on to found communities of which Rhode Island is an example. I, however, did not agree with one suggestion the author made about middle schoolers learning philosophy.

Essentially, Holy Smoke is an exposé on Christianity, its history, transformations, and effects on modern society. Anyone who is close-minded regarding Christianity may be offended by the author’s evaluation of the religion. I would only recommend this book to intellectuals who are interested in learning about American history and religion, especially Christianity, objectively. I also recommend this book to all open-minded Americans as well. I rate this book 4 out of 4 because I believe it deserves a perfect rating.

Holy Smoke
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like an interesting book and I wonder how much it really challenges the role of Christianity in US history as there has certainly been a lot of damage as a result of evangelicals and that close-mindedness still shows today.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

It was not until i read this book that i got a grip of the origin of fhe U.S.The role of other countries like spain is also quite important. Thanks for a great review.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds fascinating. Your excellent and informative review has made me curious to read it for myself. Thank you for your recommendation!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad the author was objective, its so easy to quickly slide to one side or the other. Thanks for the insightful review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”