Official Review: Free will, do you have it?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: A World of Good by Abed Ereikat

Official Review: Free will, do you have it?

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Free will, do you have it?" by Albertus Kral.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you belong to the school of thought that humans have free will, then this book might come as a shock. We can all agree that the brain is complex, and as yet, neuroscience has not discovered all there is to how the brain works. However, a new model has been formulated to decipher the enduring question: Does man have free will? The response to this question could be either a yes or a no. But, what if there is a third option? What if there is a convergence of some sort that answers this question in a novel yet controversial way? Free Will, Do You Have It? by Albertus Kral takes up this challenge, and his postulations on "Procirclism" are astounding as they are groundbreaking. If anything, they make you think differently (pun intended) and might even be life-changing.

"Procirclism," as defined by this book, is a cycle of brain processes that result in manifested behaviors. We are not aware of this process, as it happens at lightspeed; however, the process is ongoing. Procirclism is the answer to why we do what we do and how we can get ourselves to do what is desirable. Once we realize that we do not have the will to choose, we then make our outcomes more predictable. We understand that even though emotions govern us, we can decide which emotions control us. This concept might be confusing, as it questions the conventional meaning of life as we know it, but it is fascinating and challenges our understanding of our true self. And as the famous saying goes: "an unexamined life is not worth living." "Procirclism" is, therefore, worth examining, and hopefully, it can help us understand this curious saying by Einstein: "Every man can do what he wants but he cannot will what he wants."

My first impression of this book was that it was impeccably organized — a promise of an easy read. It is arranged in chapters, some with a subtopic, and has a simple, easy-to-understand language. The author's skill in simplifying complex concepts and his use of simple mathematical equations and vivid (life) stories are commendable. They make the read enjoyable, and his examples drive home his points beautifully. So, although his concept is new and somewhat complicated, it is still understandable. His seeming knack for repeating some points might seem wordy at times; however, he sees it as a form of "Procirclism," as perception might change in the light of new information. I guess it would make the ideas stick; if you didn't understand the first time, maybe the second or third time would be the eureka moment.

The editing of this book is commendable; there were minimal errors. However, as I said earlier, the repetitions might make some readers weary. Finally, the concept of "I" (perhaps even the entire book) might need several reads to understand. I had to take breaks in between to come back later and continue reading. However, these issues are too trivial to spark a significant dislike. Warning: prepare to be blown away (in more ways than one), but it is worth it.

I will recommend this book to readers who are willing to push the boundaries of conventional thoughts — readers open to grappling with their thoughts and curious about new ideas. Personally, seeing that the knowledge of "Procirclism" is life-changing, I will also recommend this book to readers who want new ways of bringing about their desired outcomes. Finally, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It can be summarized as fascinating, revolutionary, and thought-provoking.

Free will, do you have it?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mwatu
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Mwatu »

I enjoy readings that challenge the way I think and what the meaning of life is. The concept of procirclism is interesting and worth a read. Thank you for this review!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Kavita Shah »

Procirclism is what you think is what you become in scientific terms I think. Thank you for the Informative review!
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

Such a difficult topic for the free author to make so understandable. Great review!
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Ada Ling »

Very interesting topic. Would like to know more about how the author put this together. Thank you for the nice review.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

The issue with procirclism has really shocked me.As human beings, we normally think we have free will but with procirclism, I think we dont have.Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”