Official Review: The Essence of Life In Poetry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Orizon
Currently Reading: The Adults in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Good Morning South Africa by Selinah Ntuli

Official Review: The Essence of Life In Poetry

Post by Orizon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Essence of Life In Poetry" by Natalie Solomon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a lover of poetry? Do you love good poems that speak about many social issues? The book to read is The Essence of Life in Poetry by Natalie Solomon. It is a collection of poems written on different topics and issues of life. The topics showcase family relations, love, friendship, heartbreaks, dreams, hopes, and many other issues.

The book comprises nine sections: Cornerstones, Chronicles of John, Fun Time, Soul Food, The Workplace, Whose Hands, Reflection, Everyday Life, and Give Thanks. Natalie Solomon wrote on grandmothers and grandfathers in the first section. She expressed their duties and functions to both their children and grandchildren. Also, she included the husband-wife relationship, that they are each other’s cornerstone. The book revealed the usefulness and worth of some people close to us that we might not have valued before, therefore not enjoying their full advantages. Who are these people? What are the advantages attached to them? Read up to find the answers and more in the book.

I loved that the poems expressed essential values that have been neglected or forgotten in the name of fashion and trends. Also, I admire the Trinidad and Tobago culture and dialect used in the book. I appreciate the expository part of the book, as it teaches the reader some of the things that might not be known to some. For instance, when she talked about weaning a baby, I learned new methods, which I never knew existed.

Furthermore, I appreciate that almost all the points mentioned in the poems are issues that anybody can relate to and understand. And I admire the author’s courage to be able to voice out a lot of things happening in our societies, which most people might not be bold enough to express. My favorite part of the book is the conversation between the Police officer and Help Me; it is quite funny. Another admirable part of the book is the glossary at the end of the book to check unfamiliar words.

What I dislike about the book is that some of the stories in the poems seem not to be complete. For instance, I believe that Sharon and John’s story should not have ended where it did. Despite the punctuation style of the poet, I still observed a few errors, though it did not distract my reading experience.

Therefore, I rate The Essence of Life in Poetry 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to all lovers of good poetry. Also, I believe that teenagers can learn one or two lessons from the message expressed in the book.

The Essence of Life In Poetry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Kavita Shah »

I am not a poetry lover but I do like to read good poems. That's 9 section that I would like to read. Thank you for the review!
Mwatu
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Mwatu »

I am not big on poetry, however, I will look this up just for its lessons. Thank you for your review!
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

This sounds like a beautiful collection of poems and I’m glad you liked it so much. Thanks for the great review!
KristyKhem
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: The Progressive Bead by Barbara Vaughn

Post by KristyKhem »

Trinidad and Tobago is an amazing country. I grew up there. I'll check out this poetry book for sure! Thank you for your review.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

The information delivered by the author is quite instructive especially to family.It's also impressive that there was recognition of cultures for instance Trinidad and Tobago.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

The information delivered by the author is quite instructive especially to family.It's also impressive that there was recognition of cultures for instance Trinidad and Tobago.
Wildflowertheorist
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentine.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Haven't come across poetry books dealing with only relationships.
It seems interesting.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”