Official Review: At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney

Official Review: At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "At the Feet of Serenity" by Eve Gwartney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The following is a re-review of At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney. This novel comes under the genre of other fiction.

Henry Clayland and Grace enjoyed a loving courtship. While they were dating, they happened to snap a photo of Henry in front of a statue called Serenity. Years later, their youngest daughter claimed this photo and wrote a family history comparing the changes in the Serenity statue to the changes in the Clayland family. Through the years, Serenity was defaced, cracked, broken, and repaired. This iconic photo of Henry became an allegory of how Serenity had been present when this couple first declared their mutual love. As the family changed, so did Serenity.

The Claylands owned and ran a hotel until Grace became sick and died. When Henry was left alone to raise their five children, he had to make a difficult decision concerning his children's future. Could he give his sons and daughters what they needed? Would Social Services force him to place the children in foster care? The story follows the lives of the children and chronicles the consequences of the father’s choices.

At the Feet of Serenity by Eve Gwartney recounts the story of Henry Clayland's and his descendants' lives. The youngest of the five siblings narrated the family history with vivid descriptions and realistic dialogues. I enjoyed the author's analysis of how one choice made by their father touched so many lives. The author used her father's photo in front of the Serenity statue as the starting point for his family history and Serenity's influence on this family. The photos of Serenity and those of the young family were a great addition to the text.

The author has improved this version of the novel by filling in some of the time jumps with additional facts and dialogues. The photos have also been inserted in appropriate places throughout the narrative. The updates on the two oldest boys in the family, Tom and Derek, inform readers of the latest happenings in their lives. I congratulate the author on the excellent improvements made to the narrative. Unfortunately, the text still needs to be proofread as I found several misspelled words, grammar mistakes, and some sentences with missing words.

The Clayman family adhered to the Mormon religion. The author explained several central teachings of this religion and some historical facts about the church and its founder. A cousin invited one of the brothers to join a radical Mormon break-off group. The author detailed the events that motivated her beloved brother to join this cult and become one of their leaders.

I rate this book three out of four stars. The author wrote a compelling story detailing how the Serenity statue eavesdropped on a young couple in love and continued to influence Henry's choices through the years. This story leads readers to reflect on the effect our actions can have on future generations. Sadly, I had to lower to score because of the number of errors I found in the text. Readers who enjoy books that follow family histories would enjoy this story. This book would appeal to people who study religions as the author has described several teachings of the Mormon Church. The book contains no profanity and no inappropriate scenes.

At the Feet of Serenity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade

Post by Kavita Shah »

What an intriguing story. I liked the concept of the statue changing as the family's condition did. Great review!
Mwatu
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Gambled Dreams by Jim Sanderson

Post by Mwatu »

Glad to read that the author has improved several aspects of this book. It was a bit sad to read that Henry was faced with the possibility of losing his children after their mother died. Thank you for this review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Meeting Mozart by Howard Jay Smith

Post by Ellylion »

For me, the book would be an interesting read from the LDS religion point of view :) Sorry about all the issues tho. Thanks for this insightful review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kavita Shah wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 13:24 What an intriguing story. I liked the concept of the statue changing as the family's condition did. Great review!
It is a unique way of telling the family's story. The author made a profound analysis between the statue and her family's history. I hope you have a chance to read her book. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Mwatu wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 06:15 Glad to read that the author has improved several aspects of this book. It was a bit sad to read that Henry was faced with the possibility of losing his children after their mother died. Thank you for this review!
It was wonderful to reread the story and find so many helpful improvements made by the author. I hope you will read the book to find out what happened to Henry! Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ellylion wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 09:48 For me, the book would be an interesting read from the LDS religion point of view :) Sorry about all the issues tho. Thanks for this insightful review!
The author wrote about how the church influenced her family. I greatly enjoyed the revisions in this edition of her book. I hope you have a chance to read it. Thanks for reading and commenting.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

The comparison of Henry and Grace's courtship and marriage to serenity was dope.it's impressive to learn that Henry was made the best choices for his children after the death of grace and also touched the lives of many.Wonderful review.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This is not a book I would choose to read, but the plot and storytelling seems to be quite unique.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

C3cilia wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 01:46 The comparison of Henry and Grace's courtship and marriage to serenity was dope.it's impressive to learn that Henry was made the best choices for his children after the death of grace and also touched the lives of many.Wonderful review.
It is a fascinating story about life choices and how our decisions can affect others for many years into the future. Thanks for reading and commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 15:36 This is not a book I would choose to read, but the plot and storytelling seems to be quite unique.
I appreciate your time. Thanks for reading and commenting!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by markodim721 »

I like the dose of realism in the book. Thanks for the good review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

markodim721 wrote: 01 May 2021, 09:34 I like the dose of realism in the book. Thanks for the good review.
It is a moving story that teaches you to appreciate your family. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.
Kike17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kike17.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Kike17 »

This is a realistic story I would love to read. I believe each family have their sweet and bitter tales to tell as well. Thanks for a well-written review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kike17 wrote: 02 May 2021, 08:30 This is a realistic story I would love to read. I believe each family have their sweet and bitter tales to tell as well. Thanks for a well-written review.
I enjoyed the way the author emphasized the importance of family for friendship and support. I hope you have a chance to read this fascinating family story. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”