Official Review: A Woman's Guide to Surviving in a Man's ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: Argyll Street by Jon Moorthorpe

Official Review: A Woman's Guide to Surviving in a Man's ...

Post by Theresam »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Woman's Guide to Surviving in a Man's World" by Anne Covey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Woman’s Guide to Surviving in a Man’s World by Anne Covey is an enlightening nonfiction book describing the experiences of the author in the business world. Covey was faced with gender discrimination and harassment on an almost daily basis while working as a financial advisor. The ‘Good Old Boys’ she encountered throughout her career preferred to leave the glass ceiling firmly in place and allow women into the boardroom only to serve the coffee. When faced with an intelligent and successful woman, they became defensive and condescending. Rather than encourage a co-worker to succeed, they chose to throw obstacles in her path.

Covey excelled in her position as a financial advisor. She regularly received awards and acknowledgements for her abilities. However, her immediate supervisors and co-workers saw her as a threat in the male-dominated industry. They sabotaged her work and stole her clients from her. Their actions were unprofessional and threatening. Yet, when their supervisor was another “Good Old Boy,’ there were no punishments or negative repercussions for them.

This book took an honest look at the experiences of women entering a workforce dominated by men. I wish I could say the author’s experiences were unique, but women experience similar condescending and inappropriate actions today. The glass ceiling is cracking, largely due to people like Anne Covey, but it is not broken. Certain industries are still dominated by men. I appreciated the author’s descriptions of her experiences. She told her story honestly and noted when she thought she could have said something or done something differently. My favorite part of the book was when the author provided advice to other women who are entering the workplace. Her advice was helpful and incorporated what she learned during her career. There was nothing I disliked about this book.

The author used the term ‘Good Old Boys’ frequently throughout the book. This term did not relate to all men. She was very careful to clearly describe the type of men that sabotaged her. She also noted when men were professional and worked with her during her career. These men did not fit into the category of ‘Good Old Boys.’ She made that fact clear to the reader. It is important to note that this is not a book critical of all men. Covey focuses on the unprofessional and unacceptable actions of some men who fall into the category of ‘Good Old Boys.’

I would like to give this book a perfect score due to the vivid descriptions of the author’s experiences and the advice she gives to other women. However, I saw more than ten errors in the book. For this reason, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to women entering the workforce who are having negative experiences. This book will show them that they are not alone in having these experiences and may provide the advice needed to overcome obstacles. I also think men could gain an understanding of the negative experiences some women have in the workforce.

A Woman's Guide to Surviving in a Man's World
View: on Bookshelves
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Women like Covey should be encouraged to reach the pinnacle of their chosen career paths so as to encourage more women to do same, and not discriminated against.

Great review.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by Kavita Shah »

The 'Good Old Boys' is a term that many women may relate with. Women should not be stopped from excelling in their desired fields and people should become more supportive of them. Thank you for the review.
Hhannahh
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The World We Used to Live In by Vine Deloria, Jr.

Post by Hhannahh »

Books like this are encouraging. I'm happy for the author's success in her career.
Great review.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

Sounds like a very well-written account of what happens to many women. It’s all the more important because it’s based on her personal experiences. Thanks for sharing!
Sakura5
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Sakura5 »

I think it is absurd that in the 21st century we are still struggling with gender equality issues, but unfortunately, it is still so. But I am glad to hear more and more stories like this one. Hopefully, one day they will no longer be the exception but the rule. Nice review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Asteroid Apophis Lord of Chaos by John S. Pritchett

Post by Kennedy NC »

Women should definitely not be prevented from reaching the highest pinnacle of their aspirations, and men must learn to encourage them even in the workplace. Great review.
Wildflowertheorist
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentine.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Sakura5 wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 10:28 I think it is absurd that in the 21st century we are still struggling with gender equality issues, but unfortunately, it is still so. But I am glad to hear more and more stories like this one. Hopefully, one day they will no longer be the exception but the rule. Nice review!
I was thinking the exact same thing! But things are changing, people are changing their perspective and women too are becoming more assertive and demanding equal rights.
Mwatu
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Mwatu »

I have come across some material on the injustices women face in a male-dominated world. It is unfortunate that some men react to intelligent women in a defensive and condescending manner. I am glad to read that Anne contributes to the cracking of the glass ceiling. It is only a matter of time before it breaks. Thank you for a lovely review!
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

I am particularly intrigued by the title of the bòok.i also love the zeal of Anne covey.She displays the exact figure of a strong woman.Am however put off by the fact that men view a as a threat rather than a challenge. This review is impressive.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”