Official Review: Twice a Daughter by Julie Ryan McGue

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1492
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Last Raider by Spencer Anderson

Official Review: Twice a Daughter by Julie Ryan McGue

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Twice a Daughter" by Julie Ryan McGue.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Julie Ryan McGue, a local adoptee, sets on an extraordinary mission to find her birth parents. She is facing some health challenges that demand her family medical history. On this road with a few footprints, there is enormous support offered by her twin sister, her husband, a confidential informant, and many more. Julie has to chart her own course, though, as her search is unique. The journey is marked with uncertainties, which will eventually make the view from the mountaintop beautiful. There is so much to be unearthed. Some revelations are shocking, but countless others undoubtedly make one smile radiantly.

Twice a Daughter: A Search for Identity, Family, and Belonging was authored by Julie Ryan McGue. The book was published by She Writes Press in 2021. It comprises thirty chapters organized into three parts. The author’s remarkable ability to instantly draw the reader into her world is unmatched. One feels the desire to come across what her heart wants to find even when the probability is closer to zero. The book presents a dilemma where the rights of two people are in sharp contrast. It is a situation where the only solution will come from a loving heart and the boldness to live with the consequences afterward.

One of the things I liked about the book was its unpredictability. I had to keep reminding myself that I was reading a nonfiction book because the memoir felt like a creative account with nicely crafted twists and turns at times. What I relished most was the emphasis to be grateful for things we are tempted to take for granted every day. These include family and good health. Following how the adoption search affected her mundane life and conversations sufficiently demonstrated its importance. The adoption search was not a separate thing that could be easily detached. It touched on the author’s identity, and there was no other way to communicate this indisputable truth apart from including its considerable influence on her life.

This was a riveting read. I can only think of that day when all one longs for is a little sunshine, but the sky is filled with dark clouds, which signal the helplessness to transform the situation. But just when you are about to give up, the sun bursts through the clouds. While there were many speed bumps during the lengthy search, the breakthroughs achieved and the resulting happiness gave meaning to the emotional struggles. I disliked nothing about the book. Editing was professionally done as well. As a result, I rate it four out of four stars.

This is a story of persistence and hope. The book will appeal most to anyone dealing with a closed adoption-related case. Adoptees and parents, both adopters and those who gave up their children for adoption, will find the book resourceful. More importantly, it is about family and love. Consequently, I sincerely believe all readers will enjoy poring over this fascinating memoir.

Twice a Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I love that Julie got a lot of support from her twin and the husband on the search. Support is a major family value and I'd love a book that promotes such.

Great review.
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Wow. This is a fantastic review. Thanks for sharing
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

What an incredible journey to go on! I love when authors can recount their life stories with such creativity and flow. Thanks for the great review!
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a touching and well-told story with some important messages intertwined. It seems the author did a great job at sharing her journey. Thanks for the great review!
cd20
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

This sounds like a great book to read. I do like nonfiction, but am not a huge fan of memoirs, but when the author writes in an engaging way (like this one), then I really end up enjoying the story. Thanks for a great review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Mwatu
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Mwatu »

It is beautiful to read that this memoir is as engaging/captivating as it is inspirational. Lovely review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”