Official Review: SPLITTING UP without falling to pieces

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
2021 Reading Goal: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: The Process of Living by Bill DeBarba

Official Review: SPLITTING UP without falling to pieces

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SPLITTING UP without falling to pieces" by Jan Kaa Kristensen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With more than fifty percent of marriages ending in divorce, many of these divorces usually end on a sour note. Are you a divorcee? Or you are a person going through a difficult marital separation. SPLITTING UP without falling to pieces by Jan Kaa Kristensen, a clinical psychologist, offers timeless advice for couples and single parents battling separation and child custody matters. It explores the themes of family, separation, child upbringing, as well as emotional and mental health.

The book is divided into ten chapters that highlight specific action points in detail. Chapters one to five focused on the personal groundwork needed to become a better co-parent. Chapters six to nine emphasized the need for collaborative cooperation between parents, the importance of seeking help from their support network, and how to go about it. The final chapter was dedicated to couples with special circumstances like couples dealing with alcohol addiction, substance abuse, and many more.

I agree with the author's point of view. The book's central theme revolves around the need for parents to put the welfare of the children first while sorting out their marital issues.

I admire Jan Kaa Kristensen's conversational style of writing. He writes with the expertise of one who is knowledgeable in the subject. Throughout the book, the author used citations of scholarly works to bolster his points. Also, the author used anecdotes of real-life couples (even though it had been fictionalized) in his explanations. Knowing about their struggles made the reading more practical and relatable.

I like that the book did not waste much time apportioning blames or crying over spilled milk. The author’s primary concern was on co-working and achieving collaborative cooperation between both parents. I also liked the author’s attempts at explaining relevant scientific terms/topics at the end of every chapter. He made terms like emotional mirroring more understandable to the average reader. At the end of every chapter, there are insightful questions for the reader. These contributed a lot to the practicality of the ideas in the book, not just a bunch of unrealistic theoretical recommendations. For these reasons, I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars. Also, the book was well edited because I noticed only a few grammatical errors.

I highly recommend it to divorcees or people currently going through divorce proceedings, especially those who have children involved. It is also a good recommendation for couples going through a tough time in their marriage. Young adults in relationships that are contemplating tying the knot will also benefit from reading this book. On a final note, there is nothing to dislike about the book. All the lessons on managing disagreement and de-escalating conflict highlighted in the book were beneficial.

SPLITTING UP without falling to pieces
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pandora10
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Vanishing Kind
Bookshelf Size: 81

Post by Pandora10 »

This sounds like a useful and informative book for those contemplating, or going through the process of divorce. It would also be useful for young couples to read whether they are contemplating marriage or not.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

Such a difficult topic for most people. I congratulate the author on tackling that and bringing a positive aspect to it. Thanks for the great review!
Sakura5
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Sakura5 »

As a daughter of divorcees, I can relate to this topic. I think it is a tough one to talk about, but it is good if an expert in the field can give some advice about it. Nice review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

A book that helps divorced parties to carry on beautifully with the job of co-parenting is a great one. It will be of immense benefit to the child/children who regardless of the separation of the parents, will not lack care from either parent cause they're knowledgeable on how to carry on with their roles.

Great review.
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This is a detailed review, as the reader will know exactly what to expect. Seems like a tough issue to tackle . I can not really realate that much to this subject but the review is definitely a great one .
Mwatu
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Mwatu »

I love that the author did not apportion blame or cry over spilt milk. This I feel is a good approach. Thank you for a lovely review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”