Official Review: Renee the Invisible Child "Letting ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Renee the Invisible Child "Letting Go & Allowing God" by Anita White

Official Review: Renee the Invisible Child "Letting ...

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Renee the Invisible Child "Letting Go & Allowing God"" by Anita White.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Renee The Invisible Child “Letting Go & Allowing God” is a non-fiction title written in the first person by Anita White. It contains touching memories of the author’s very difficult childhood in the streets of Chicago. The author tells readers that her mother wanted to name her Renee, but her father thought differently and named her Anita. She argues that this was when she became invisible in her mother’s eyes. Their mother-daughter relationship was a markedly tumultuous one, and Anita always felt rejected by her mother. Her daddy, though, was a loving man, and she has nice memories of him.

Throughout the book, we follow a heartbreaking narrative full of abandonment, abuse, hurt, and pain. Due to her terrible circumstances, the author grew up a loner, for she didn’t trust people. Tragically, she was raped at age eight; she soon started drinking, using drugs, and having unprotected sex. When she was only fourteen years old, she became pregnant and had a baby boy – Demetrius Alexander. She felt like a failure and even tried to commit suicide. Slowly, though, she began to pick herself up. But no spoilers are allowed!

The book has positives and negatives. On the positive side, the story is presented in a heartfelt and hopeful manner – a noteworthy positive point. The author worked very hard to change her life, and I enjoyed reading about how she overcame so many obstacles. She shares how a few things helped her on her journey. Above all, she tells us how she found God and forgiveness. I appreciated her strength, and I’m sure her narrative can inspire and empower many women who deal with analogous issues. I commend the author for her courage to share.

That being said, I found the narrative to be a bit superficial and erratic. This aspect was what I liked the least. Although the author talks about her recovery process here and there, I wish she had done it more consistently. For instance, I found myself wondering about her mental health issues, which she only superficially addresses.

Lastly, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I’m taking one star away because I found quite a few editing errors in it; it is far from its most polished form and would greatly benefit from professional editing. The errors were egregious and numerous, and unfortunately, they detracted from my enjoyment of a powerful story. As for the other star, I subtracted it due to the negatives previously explained. Still, it is an inspiring, heartwarming story of hope and redemption that I recommend to readers who face similar challenges. It is, of course, a book for adults.

Renee the Invisible Child "Letting Go & Allowing God"
View: on Bookshelves
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

It’s incredible that she went through so much and was able to overcome her struggles. She sounds inspiring, I hope she can address some of the issues you’ve mentioned. Thanks for the great review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”