Official Review: Deep Down- delivered from a dark past

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Deep Down- delivered from a dark past

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deep Down- delivered from a dark past" by Newton Matos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Newton Matos' Deep Down: Delivered from a Dark Past is an autobiography centered on the author's traumatic childhood and its lifelong impacts, as well as his attempts to overcome them. With his career in the US Navy jeopardized after an accident and subsequent surgery, Matos decided to seek therapy for PTSD and depression. Thus began a long process of reopening old wounds and unearthing suppressed memories and traumas. Though painful and uncertain, this journey also brought opportunities for healing and growth.

Matos tackles his inner demons with brutal honesty in an extraordinary display of courage. The book doesn't shy away from topics such as domestic violence, suicide, and sexual assault, but it ultimately conveys a message of hope: regardless of your flaws, mistakes, and unfair circumstances, you can always start over. It also highlights the importance of mental health awareness and addresses myths about therapy (for instance, the false notion that seeking help is a sign of weakness). Indeed, despite the author's experiences with gangs, homelessness, and military life, he claims that therapy was the hardest process he went through, demanding his every ounce of strength.

The writing blends raw authenticity and literary prose to deliver a gripping account of Matos' past and state of mind. In particular, the first chapter is an exceptional introduction: it describes an intense episode of emotional and physical pain while slipping in important details without excessive exposition. "With a loud moan and trembling hands, I opened the door to my garage and climbed into my SUV. I started the car and then reached for the garage-door opener. I paused. The flashes of my horrendous memories, projecting in my skull, stopped me dead in my tracks." (p. 5.)

One of the book's most striking features is how the story unfolds in psychological time rather than chronological time. We often get hints of events before exploring them in detail. This storytelling style allows Matos to relate seemingly distant memories to present circumstances as he navigates through life, crafting a unique narrative. That said, things can get a bit confusing at times since it's not always clear which period the author is referring to. In a couple of cases, I wasn't even sure if we were supposed to be in the present or the past. This isn't a huge issue for the most part, but the book could benefit from clarifying the timeline of its events.

I wholeheartedly recommend Deep Down: Delivered from a Dark Past to readers interested in mental health issues, trauma, and stories about overcoming one's past. There are quite a few intense scenes, so you should look elsewhere if you are not in the mood for a heavy read. Overall, the book is well-edited and features few errors and minor flaws, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Deep Down- delivered from a dark past
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

What a well written review! I got to the end without realizing it. I found the cover interesting, but turns out this book is too heavy for my taste.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

The details of this book struck me with a deep allure. Thanks for an explicit review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Dealing with traumatic experiences from the past is never an easy process to go through, but it definitely guarantees a healthy mind. Mental health conversations are not had as much as they should and it's interesting to find a work devoted solely to it.

Great review.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Most times for us to overcome our pain and past, we must be willing to confront them and this involves not being afraid to seek therapy. Great review.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Facing ourselves is usually one of the hardest things I imagine humans have to experience. The author seems to have gone through it all and it is amazing to read therapy was the hardest for him. Despite it all, he survived and now he shares his story with us. Lovely review, thanks!
Scarbaby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarbaby.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Scarbaby »

What a wonderful and thoughtful review. I am definitely interested in reading this book as I find spreading mental health awareness so very important.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I admire the author’s bravery in getting the help he needed and being willing to discuss such difficult topics. I’ll have to give this book a try. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

Am impressed by Matos' honesty on what he went through and his tactical approach of every issue.Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Beautifully-written review. I’m so glad the author articulated his experiences so clearly and leaves us with a hopeful note.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”