Official Review: The Borders of Normal by Manuel Matas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: The Borders of Normal by Manuel Matas

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Borders of Normal" by Manuel Matas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The subject of the paranormal is one that has not been lacking in controversy. Paranormal activity continues to be reported, from near-death and out-of-body experiences to telepathy, clairvoyance, and more. Whatever you feel about it, delving into such a topic would always be a bold move, especially when there are no readily available scientific constructs to measure these phenomena. This book, however, lays the framework for further research into the subject matter.

The Borders of Normal, just as the name implies, is a fascinating book. Straddling the (thin) line that separates illusion from reality, Manuel Matas goes to town on the issue of de-stigmatizing paranormal phenomena. Having had first-hand experience of such supernatural phenomena, it makes sense that he would understand and appreciate the nuances that come with the territory. Taking the most objective view possible under the peculiar circumstances, Matas does his best to dissect the relatively complicated issue of the paranormal while stating his case for its existence. In doing so, he does his best to clear up or at least reduce the confusion that surrounds the subject.

The best part of this book for me was the succinct manner in which Matas presented his points. For a subject matter as vast and as controversial as this, being able to put forward a logical and credible analysis with clarity and brevity is no mean feat. This pointed to his wealth of experience and the volume of research that must have gone into writing this book. I also liked that he stated his points without antagonism towards any contrary opinion. I appreciated this, and I couldn't help smiling as I read along.

While reading this book, I found several technical terms that required me to pause and do some research to understand them better. I can imagine there are others like me—laymen in this field of knowledge—who may not have such terminologies in their lexicon. These terms—such as scientism, parapsychology, and psychedelics—would slow down comprehension for them as well. However, this book was meant to be educational, and it was for me as it opened me up to a whole new world beyond our physical reality. So I'd say these terms didn't dent my reading experience; they were simply opportunities to boost my knowledge base.

The high-level professional editing of this book helped to give it that extra coat of gloss. The grammar and typographical errors were almost nonexistent. There is absolutely nothing I dislike about this book. The research was detailed, the layout and presentation were impressive, and the editing was professional. Consequently, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone interested in the subject of the paranormal. Psychiatrists, psychologists, and other major players in the field of mental health will also find this book handy.

The Borders of Normal
View: on Bookshelves
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Paranormal activity is one I would love to delve more into. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

Writing in lay man's understanding would have made those book more prolific. Anyways, I hope those in this field find it helpful. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”