Official Review: Parallels in Autocracy by Wolfgang Mack

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 252
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: A Blueprint of the Divine Plan by Donald Thomas

Official Review: Parallels in Autocracy by Wolfgang Mack

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Parallels in Autocracy" by Wolfgang Mack.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parallels in Autocracy by Wolfgang Mack is a non-fiction book about the author's experiences as a young boy growing up in Nazi Germany and his thoughts on how dictators can rise to power. The author analyzes many countries that have had dictators in the 20th century, highlighting his own experiences as a foreigner working in those countries. The writer's tone is informative, analytical, and complex, displaying his knowledge and experience in a professional way.

The author begins by describing his feelings of despair and grief when his friend, Gunter, suddenly disappeared along with all his family. The author knew that this was not a good sign, as it meant that the Nazis had taken his whole family away for interrogation, probably never to be seen again. The writer describes in detail the fear instilled by the Nazis, as people would often look behind their shoulders because they were scared that people would eavesdrop on what they were saying and report them to the Nazis. The writer continues by explaining how Hitler gradually ascended to absolute power, as he began by being democratically elected, but later took control of the courts and massacred his political rivals using his henchmen to carry out his bloody murders.

There were numerous pleasant elements in this book. For one, the author described his memories originally, sharing his personal experiences in a unique and authentic way. Furthermore, the writer structured this book beautifully, beginning with his own childhood in totalitarian Germany, continuing by describing other twentieth-century dictatorships, and ending by highlighting that the US is not safe from the tangles of totalitarianism. The blend between historical facts and the writer's experiences provided a wonderful harmony and completeness in the text. What I liked most about this book was that it was very persuasive and argumentative since the writer employed various case studies to prove his points.

What I disliked most about the text was that it contained many grammatical slips, which downplayed the writer's status.

This book will be mostly enjoyed by readers who are interested in politics and history. Readers who are aware of some facts related to 20th-century totalitarian regimes will find this book easier to navigate. Both religious and non-religious readers can enjoy the text.

In summary, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a perfect rating due to the number of errors I observed in the text. However, a lower score would have been unjust, as this book was coherent, original, accurate, and argumentative.

Parallels in Autocracy
View: on Bookshelves
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: There’s a Hero in my Home by Stephanie Alexandra

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book is quite interesting and informative. Thanks for a well-detailed review and recommendations.
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Become A Covid-19 Superhero by Sheryl Crawford

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

It's unfortunate that this had to be non-fiction; it means that someone had to experience this type of fear. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”