Review by keemcee -- Reflections of an Anxious African A...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
keemcee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keemcee.html
Latest Review: Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad by Eric L. Heard

Review by keemcee -- Reflections of an Anxious African A...

Post by keemcee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad" by Eric L. Heard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad, is about the story of a father who was afraid for his son's future since they are African American. One day, he received news about his son who got 70% on his math test which is unusual for him. He was overthinking and most of them are negative thoughts. After seeing his son getting off the school bus looking all unaffected and like nothing happened, his father felt all the anger toward his son mixed with anxious thoughts. He wanted his son to realize that education is the most important thing in someone's life especially to them as African Americans. This book is not only about the story of the anxious dad toward his son's future but also the story of a dad's childhood that helped shape the way he became. According to the author, Eric L. Heard, this book should provide an answer to his son's questions about why he did the things in the past.

Although the author mentioned that he was hesitant to write this book, he still did a great job of writing it and it even turned out to be an easy-to-read book. It would inspire and encourage African Americans to stand up and show that we are all human beings who deserve to live and be treated equally. The first thing that I liked about this book is the balance. Whenever the author tells a sad story or tragedies in his life, in the next chapter the readers can expect to find a light and read his happy memories. The author also did great on telling his story because it can be easily understood and imagine by the readers with his clear explanation and simple usage of words. My favorite part of the book is about the story of the roach. It was hilarious and I can only imagine it happening in a household. The author does not only told his story but also gives lessons about life, for people to learn to appreciate even the small things, and most importantly, the love of the family. It was amazing how he explained and connected a life lesson with his experience with fire ants. I was amazed at how deep the message was and glad to be able to learn it. Every chapter seems to have a life lesson with it.

Looking back, I cannot think of a single thing I hate about the book. Maybe the author can add a few more stories or pages because it was too short. Nonetheless, I enjoy reading it especially the part where he was able to connect the first part of the book to the last part.

Overall, I would like to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. After carefully reading it, I am glad to say that there were no errors, no profanity, and no sexual content present in the book.

I would like to recommend this book to readers who are curious and would enjoy stories about what some people call "Black". This book is also for readers who are looking for an easy-to-read book but has wisdom, a heartful message, and can inspire them.

Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”