Official Review: Thriving During Periods of Unemployment

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Feeding The Beast by Richard Greene
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Thriving During Periods of Unemployment

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thriving During Periods of Unemployment" by Artaisha Jenkins, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Losing a job can be incredibly disheartening and frightening. The world is changing rapidly, and many jobs are becoming obsolete due to automation or other technological advancements. In addition, the global pandemic of 2020 brought massive job loss all over the world. When you face sudden unemployment, it can be difficult to keep heart and know where to go from there. In her book, Thriving During Periods of Unemployment: A Comprehensive Guide for Job Seekers, Artaisha C. Jenkins, PhD explains the steps you can take to remain positive and make yourself the strongest candidate you can be for your next job or career.

Thriving During Periods of Unemployment is relatively short but packed with helpful information for job seekers. It begins by giving ideas about how you can keep a positive outlook while dealing with unemployment, as well as the best ways to utilize your newfound free time to your best advantage. If your job history is in an industry that is no longer thriving, or if you just don’t enjoy your line of work anymore, the book goes through steps for considering and selecting an entirely new career path. It covers how to best position yourself to enter that path with a strong resume. The book gives pointers on ways to make yourself more marketable, including creating a “personal brand” for yourself. It also guides you on creating strong resumes and cover letters, as well as creating short and long-term career plans and sticking to them.

I like that this book kept the information concise and organized. There is no repetitive content, and the reader is not bombarded with the author’s opinion on certain industries or other job-related matters. The book simply delivers the promised information and moves along. When appropriate, step-by-step lists and instructions are included, making it simple to incorporate the author’s advice into your life or routine. I also like that the author took the time to highlight keeping yourself happy while going through your job search. Sometimes it’s easy to get so carried away with your efforts to find new employment that you forget to enjoy your increased leisure time. Have you been wanting to tackle a home project or pick up a new hobby? This is the time to do it! The author also reminds us to take advantage of our extra time with friends and family.

Although I liked a lot of the information in this book, I did think it could use a couple of tweaks. The section on creating a personal brand spoke extensively about having an online presence without actually laying the groundwork for how someone might develop such a presence. For those who didn’t grow up with social media, who are in a low-tech industry that is being phased out due to automation, or who simply haven’t had to job hunt in a long time, the idea of posting and commenting, creating color schemes, and responding to reviews might be a foreign one. I would have liked to see the author mention some of the common platforms where a job seeker should have an online presence and explain how each functions before moving on to the more tech-savvy instructions in this section.

My only other suggestion for improving the book would be another round of professional editing. I found a handful of typos, as well as a number of awkwardly-worded statements that a professional editor could easily smooth out. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and I think if it were cleaned up and a bit more attention paid to providing the basics for social media novices, it would get a perfect score. I recommend this book to anyone who is currently job hunting or considering a potential career change.

Thriving During Periods of Unemployment
View: on Bookshelves
Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Glass Castle
Bookshelf Size: 937
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Laura Bach »

This sounds like a really helpful book for our times. Could actually use it, so thank you for informing me about this book. I highly enjoyed your review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: The Educator by Pamela Green-Nanni

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I think this is a very useful topic to address. This is a feeling people can relate to and I like that author explores different aspects of it. Thank you for your engaging review.
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Booklover Becca »

What a great time for a book like this. People need useful and concise information for the times were in. Thank you for the review
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I thought this review was excellent. There was so much information and detail that I am going to put in on my bookshelf to read at a later time. Thanks so muxh
Piece Nkem
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piece-nkem.html

Post by Piece Nkem »

I've not lost a job before, but I would still love to read this one to learn how to handle such situations.
laseniola
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laseniola.html
Latest Review: The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa

Post by laseniola »

Keeping up a positive attitude during unemployment is a very difficult thing. The information in this book should be helpful.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html

Post by Yvonne Monique »

With so many people losing their jobs at the moment due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this books seems to very helpful and published in the perfect moment.
unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Laura Bach wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 06:09 This sounds like a really helpful book for our times. Could actually use it, so thank you for informing me about this book. I highly enjoyed your review!
I hope you find the book helpful! Thanks for commenting.

Marcel Cantu wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 08:16 I think this is a very useful topic to address. This is a feeling people can relate to and I like that author explores different aspects of it. Thank you for your engaging review.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Booklover Becca wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 10:20 What a great time for a book like this. People need useful and concise information for the times were in. Thank you for the review
Thanks for your comment!

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 13:01 I thought this review was excellent. There was so much information and detail that I am going to put in on my bookshelf to read at a later time. Thanks so muxh
I hope you enjoy the book and find it helpful when you read it. Thanks for commenting!

Piece Nkem wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 00:32 I've not lost a job before, but I would still love to read this one to learn how to handle such situations.
Thanks for stopping by!

laseniola wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 00:36 Keeping up a positive attitude during unemployment is a very difficult thing. The information in this book should be helpful.
Thanks for your comment!

Yvonne Monique wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 15:12 With so many people losing their jobs at the moment due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this books seems to very helpful and published in the perfect moment.
Thank you for commenting!
Ayindelaw
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: A New Way Of Life by Samy Barnat

Post by Ayindelaw »

Well, it's good to know this book gives what it promises. At least I'll be able to (in theory), know how to handle a job loss.
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your intriguing review. This book is very trendy, as it addresses the topic of unemployment. With the popularity of AI nowadays, technological advancements reduce even more chances for one to find a suitable job. I hope this book will provide good advice so that the readers can score a good career.
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The City Of Mirrors
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Onward to Kolmothra Volume One by Brian Warf

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The book seems like a great idea, especially in the current pandemic context. Creating a personal brand is a good idea because sometimes it's not about what you can do buy how you present yourself. Attitude is 50%, the rest is experience. Great review!
unamilagra

Post by unamilagra »

Ayindelaw wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 10:56 Well, it's good to know this book gives what it promises. At least I'll be able to (in theory), know how to handle a job loss.
Thank you for stopping by to comment!

Sou Hi wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 22:16 Thanks for your intriguing review. This book is very trendy, as it addresses the topic of unemployment. With the popularity of AI nowadays, technological advancements reduce even more chances for one to find a suitable job. I hope this book will provide good advice so that the readers can score a good career.
Thanks for commenting!

raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 05:14 The book seems like a great idea, especially in the current pandemic context. Creating a personal brand is a good idea because sometimes it's not about what you can do buy how you present yourself. Attitude is 50%, the rest is experience. Great review!
Thank you for taking the time to comment!
Alheotuci
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Alheotuci »

I appreciate the fact that this book contains informations which can help a lot of people. From reading your review, this is a book that I would definitely pick up to read. Thanks for a detailed review!
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Think Big Scale Fast by Jolien Demeyer

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book can help a lot of people. I would like to check it out.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”