Official Review: Who Killed Che Guevara by Jamal Bouhassoun

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elvis Best
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Official Review: Who Killed Che Guevara by Jamal Bouhassoun

Post by Elvis Best »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who Killed Che Guevara" by Jamal Bouhassoun.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine living in a world where you feel you do not have time for love, a world where you live in total darkness, a world where injustice and chaos prevail. That was the world Mulham found himself in, and he had to find a way to escape.

Who Killed Che Guevara, written by Jamal Bouhassoun, is a fictional story that follows the life of Mulham, a young writer determined to avoid politics and make his own way in life. Throughout the book, Mulham discusses complex topics related to communism, Nazism, and Marxism. He also discusses historical figures such as Omar Khorshid, Bruce Lee, and Ernesto Che Guevara (the book’s namesake).

Although the story is fictional, most of the ideas in it involve historical real-life events and figures. For example, at some points, there is a deep discussion of Joseph Stalin’s terror reign and how Jamal Abdel Nasser destroyed the Egyptian society. All in all, the book manages to blend fiction with nonfiction to tell a riveting story of chaos and injustice.

The one thing I liked most was the inspiring recap of Che Guevara’s life. After reading that section, I was inspired by how much one man could give so much of himself for the cause of justice and equality. Indeed, Che Guevara’s story will stay with me for a long time. The following quote, for instance, encapsulates his passion for humanity: "If inhumane conditions are imposed on the human and he does not rebel, he will lose his humanity, little by little (p. 33).”

Further, it was quite interesting following the lives of Mulham and his friends. For example, there was Abu Ali, an army water tanker driver cum drug smuggler. Reading about Abu—and the other interesting characters—felt like peeking into an alternate universe where people lived very different lives than usual. More importantly, this alternate universe felt more real to me than a mere fictional construct.

Nevertheless, I had a few issues with Who Killed Che Guevara. First, I found it hard to understand some sentences in the book, as they read very awkwardly. Take, for example, the following sentence: "Instead, it was kept somewhat away of time close to promises (p. 3).”

Furthermore, some parts of the book read like a history textbook, which made it quite boring to get through. I would have really liked it if the author concentrated more on the lives of Mulham and his friends than the historical figures. Apart from these issues, however, I enjoyed the rest of the book.

Considering the above points, I rate Who Killed Che Guevara 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the issues mentioned above. Further, I do not believe it was professionally edited, as I found more than ten errors in it. Lastly, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading historical novels.

Who Killed Che Guevara
View: on Bookshelves
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Precious Naiti
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Precious Naiti »

The fact that the book has a realistic aspect to me makes it more relatable. I understand where the reviewer is coming from though when he mentions that this style of writing can be boring. All in all, i would like to read this book because of the detailed review.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by raluca_mihaila »

We should always find time to bring love in our lives! I loved that the book is fictional, but it brings a lot of important educational topics. Amazing review!
PeterRabitt20
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Stories like this one give an exciting and thrilling plotline; however, I would worry that the fictional account might be confused with reality. Either way, I would probably pick this book up. Thanks for your well-written review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: To Tell A Tale by Griffin D. H. Murphy

Post by Marcel Cantu »

The historical fiction aspects of this book are definitely compelling, but it it is too bad it belt like a history text book. Thank you for your honest review!
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The author seems to have made an interesting mixture of fiction and historical characters. You described the book's content perfectly, thank you!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”