Official Review: She is Heavy - She's my Mother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: The Leading Man by Stephen J. Blakesley

Official Review: She is Heavy - She's my Mother

Post by SamaylaM »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "She is Heavy - She's my Mother" by Jan Carroll.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The relationship a child has with their mother starts way before they even breathe life in this world. Growing up, we all sought the safe haven of our mother’s arms to feel warm and comforted. But what if a child is not showered with the love they desire from their mother? How can something like alcohol strain the greatest form of attachment? In the book below, we discover a bewildering relationship between a mother and a child.

Set in Australia, She is Heavy - She's my Mother by Jan Carroll is a passionate, entertaining, and compelling autobiography. It reveals the endeavors of the author while she manages the changes in her life stemming from dirty family secrets and her mother’s progressive descent into alcohol addiction. The author first starts the book with a glimpse into her strained relationship with her mother. Then she takes us all the way back to her childhood, reminiscing stories of making friends, getting scolded by nuns at her boarding school, and visiting various glorious parts of Australia for vacation. While all those memories were wonderful, soon, however, the clutches of her mother’s alcoholism start to taint every aspect of her life. It turns her mother from a talented, kind, and witty human to a mean, jealous, and harmful one. It gets toxic to the point where the author loses the safety of her mother’s embrace.

The work in this book had an abundance of sentiments. With the author’s descriptive writing style in narrating the tales of her life, readers would find themselves immersed in her stories. She delivered in describing the beauty of Australia, the entertainment of theater, the complex relationship with her glamorous mother, and the role she played later in the future as a mother herself. I enjoyed the characters of her two lovely daughters, Dannielle and Melanie, and how their young minds worked. Her best friend Madie's character was also quite impressive. But more than anything, I admired the fact that she was a good mother to her daughters when she necessarily did not have the best connection with her own mother.

However, the book contained several errors in sentences that were spread throughout the chapters. Besides, there were also a few spelling mistakes. In addition to that, the complex sentence structures were needlessly lengthy and required proper punctuations. I believe another round of proofreading of this book would make the story delivery much smoother.

Therefore, I would rate She is Heavy - She's my Mother by Jan Carroll with 3 out of 4 stars. I had to deduct one star for the above-mentioned reasons. This book contained some profanities and mature content. Also, there were contents in a few stories that were pedophilic. As a result, this book will not be suitable for younger audiences. Apart from that, I would recommend it to mature readers who like to read autobiographies. Female readers may be able to relate to the journey of a young girl surviving the harsh obstacles thrown at her from a very young age, despite coming from a privileged background. Readers willing to read an emotional autobiography would also immensely enjoy this book.

She is Heavy - She's my Mother
View: on Bookshelves
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by raluca_mihaila »

It seems like a touching book, and the Australian landscapes provide an entertaining aspect. Thank you for this inspiring review!
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Malve »

The book appears to be interesting and on a difficult topic.
Unfortunately, I don't like reading autobiographies that much, but I enjoyed reading your review. Great work!
teacherjh
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by teacherjh »

From the title, I thought this book would deal with weight issues. It sounds like an intense relationship book. Great review.
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

Sounds like a touching story. I would give this a try. Great review, by the way.
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Is This It? by Adam Fitzpatrick
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I have read lots of autobiographies and memoirs. So I wish for more action thrillers now. However, your amazing review makes me want to try this one too. Thank you for the recommendation.
Caro Banks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caro-banks.html
Latest Review: Aaron's Story - One Wrong Turn by Carol Engler

Post by Caro Banks »

Passionate, entertaining and compelling is a good mix. I'll love to get my hands on this book. Good job!
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Kyrie Eleison by M.Martin

Post by Joy Phill »

Mothers deserve much more than anyone can give back. Interesting review! Thanks.
kridz21
Currently Reading: Morning Star
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kridz21.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by kridz21 »

Thank you for your review! This sounds like a compelling, emotional book and I'd consider reading it in the future, especially considering the fact that it's an autobiography, it makes you take in the story and induces empathy. Great job!
Smmwallace
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Smmwallace »

This autobiography sounds very engaging. I appreciate that the author talks about dealing with her mother's descent into alcohol addiction and then talks about her relationship with her daughters. Thank you for your great review!
SamaylaM

Post by SamaylaM »

raluca_mihaila wrote: ↑01 Apr 2021, 10:18 It seems like a touching book, and the Australian landscapes provide an entertaining aspect. Thank you for this inspiring review!
Thanks a lot for your feedback! :D
SamaylaM

Post by SamaylaM »

Malve wrote: ↑01 Apr 2021, 10:23 The book appears to be interesting and on a difficult topic.
Unfortunately, I don't like reading autobiographies that much, but I enjoyed reading your review. Great work!
Oh, I'm glad you took the time to read the review!
Thank you! :)
SamaylaM

Post by SamaylaM »

teacherjh wrote: ↑01 Apr 2021, 10:31 From the title, I thought this book would deal with weight issues. It sounds like an intense relationship book. Great review.
I believe the title has to do with the weight of the author's emotional baggage.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :D
SamaylaM

Post by SamaylaM »

Noriel DM wrote: ↑01 Apr 2021, 10:38 Sounds like a touching story. I would give this a try. Great review, by the way.
Thank you so much! :)
SamaylaM

Post by SamaylaM »

Saint Bruno wrote: ↑01 Apr 2021, 11:42 I have read lots of autobiographies and memoirs. So I wish for more action thrillers now. However, your amazing review makes me want to try this one too. Thank you for the recommendation.
Thank you very much for your honest and kind words!
:tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”