Official Review: P.D.N.O.S. Personality Disorder Not Othe...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Blood For Blood
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Madison Brown by Evelyn Wilson Parker

Official Review: P.D.N.O.S. Personality Disorder Not Othe...

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "P.D.N.O.S. Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified" by RB Le`Deach.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, written by RB Le’Deach, is a memoir of the author’s life with untreated bipolar disorder. It begins with his earliest memories as a child in the American Deep South and extends through his adolescence, his service in the United States Marine Corps, his marriages, and his lifelong battle with alcohol.

The author tells his life’s story through amusing anecdotes and quirky thoughts. He is up-front and honest about all aspects of his life and does not shy away from the darker side, like his brother’s relentless abuse and his early dependence on alcohol and sex. He frequently interrupts himself with what he calls “Side Thoughts”, abrupt changes of track only tangentially related to the story being told. I enjoyed these interludes, as they felt authentic to the experience of hearing an elder tell stories from the past, in that the storyteller’s mind often wanders and takes the listener along on its journey. Given the title, I was surprised to find that Le’Deach’s mental health challenges are not more prominently explored; while they are mentioned a few times, they are not the focus of the book.

Throughout the book, there are multiple instances of what is now known as “casual racism”, the kind of racist remark that is made thoughtlessly and without ill intention but which is nevertheless demeaning. There are also a few overtly racist slurs, some of which include serious profanity. I have no doubt that the author’s views are a result of his upbringing as a White American child in the Deep South during the 1960s-70s, and I know that many others of the author’s generation would feel – and possibly say – the same. Still, I found these comments distasteful and wish that they had been either omitted or altered. Telling a story, even a historical one, with racial slurs included is uncalled for in the 21st century.

Women, too, are presented in a demeaning fashion. An entire chapter is devoted to cataloguing almost every woman with whom Le’Deach has ever had sex, with no more than four or five sentences describing each one. Women are consistently objectified and are often reduced to nothing more than their appearance, annoying traits or habits, and willingness to sleep with Le’Deach. Even the author’s own sisters are discussed in this way; none of them have names, and so they are called only the “ugly sister” and the “pretty sisters”. There are also coarse terms for female genitalia throughout the book. I was honestly appalled by how Le’Deach chose to speak about the women in his life.

Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified would have earned a score of 2 out of 4 for its entertaining anecdotes from a long and varied life, though they are relayed in a way that may be objectionable to some readers. However, the book was riddled with grammatical errors for which a star absolutely must be deducted, yielding a final score of 1 out of 4. Readers sensitive to profanity, vulgarity, or blatant racial or sexist biases should avoid the book. On the whole, I feel that the book has a long way to go before it will be ready to wind up in the hands of the public.

P.D.N.O.S. Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
View: on Bookshelves
Petruschka1
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

This memoir seems to include plenty of amusing anecdotes and thoughts. Any type of racism or sexism are, however, not acceptable in the contemporary world. Maybe the author will rewrite his manuscript?
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Blood For Blood
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Madison Brown by Evelyn Wilson Parker

Post by evraealtana »

Petruschka1 wrote: ↑26 Mar 2021, 10:40 This memoir seems to include plenty of amusing anecdotes and thoughts. Any type of racism or sexism are, however, not acceptable in the contemporary world. Maybe the author will rewrite his manuscript?
I hope so. The author has a good story to tell if he can find a way to tell it in a way that will be heard by modern readers. I feel that he would benefit greatly from finding an agent first and an editor second, and both of these prior to publication.

Thank you for your thoughts. All the best :romance-heartbeating:
LeighBee
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by LeighBee »

When I read a book I want to at least relate to or appreciate the author, but it sounds like this author would enrage me to the point I couldn't continue reading. No amount of funny anecdotes can make up for treating women and minorities poorly. Thank you for your honest review.
Alheotuci
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Alheotuci »

I appreciate your honesty in this review.
Suzer6440 xyz
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Lived
Currently Reading: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: How My Brain Works by Dr. Barbara Koltuska-Haskin

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

It’s too bad that this book couldn’t have been written differently. I think some can relate to his story in some ways- unfortunately, it seems as if it wasn’t written poorly. Thanks for the honest review
Booklover Becca
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Booklover Becca »

I was immediately interested at first by the title and the plot, but the one-star rating made sense once you explained the casual racism and needless demeaning of women. It’s very disappointing, but also potentially descriptive of what goes on in the authors mind as he deals with his mental disorders.
zulfiyya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zulfiyya.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by zulfiyya »

The one-star rating immediately made sense when I finished reading your review. There is no room for racist remarks in today's world, even if someone was brought up in an environment where it's acceptable. Sounds like the author needs to be properly educated.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Kavita Shah »

A good memoir with errors and a many racist and sexist remarks. If it had a little less of the bad and a little more of the good then it will make a good read for me. Thank you for your honest review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”