Official Review: Conversing with Various Entities

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: When Did You Arrive? by Rachna Sharma

Official Review: Conversing with Various Entities

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Conversing with Various Entities" by Mary Ellen Wall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Conversing with Various Entities, author Mary Ellen Wall explains to the reader how she communicates with supernatural entities. She refers to these entities as angels, deities, guides, spirits, and even demons, but she points out that they have many different labels. She communicates with them through dowsing and by using tarot cards, a Ouija board, and a pendulum. It was her first experience of dowsing that opened her eyes to the fact that there is much in the world that we do not understand. She is a scientist by training but, as she explains, science cannot provide us with all the answers we crave: ‘There is far more to the vastness of creation than we can ever dream of, much less photograph and measure to the nanometer.’ (p46)

The book is divided into three sections. The first section looks at the different tools the author relies on to communicate with her entities. The tools include the Y-rod and angle-rod that she uses for dowsing, the Ouija board, and the pendulum. The second section looks at the various theories that have been put forward to explain why these tools work. In the third section, the author advises the reader on how to talk with the entities. This includes advice on what questions to ask and what ones to leave out. It also explains how to recognize the various signatures of the different entities and how to keep away from the more malevolent spirits.

I thoroughly enjoyed this short book. The author has a very conversational style of writing that makes it possible to read this almost in a single session. She also brings her scientific training to the writing process which means that the book progresses in an orderly, structured manner. The biggest compliment I can pay her is that she makes the incredible sound totally normal! As someone inclined to be skeptical about the existence of supernatural entities, I found myself reading through the book without feeling an urge to dismiss it all as nonsense.

The book is marred slightly by a high number of grammatical and typographical errors; it could certainly use another round of editing to remove these. The subject matter of the book will also not be to everyone’s taste. People with a strong religious faith may not believe in the existence of the entities described by the author nor with her attempts to communicate with them. I would point out, however, that the author herself is someone who feels: ‘a deep reverence to Jesus’ (p60), so this is not a book that trashes the Christian faith or faith in general.

I am happy to award this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading it, but I must deduct one star for the number of errors I found. I recommend it to open-minded readers with an interest in the strange, the unknown, and the downright odd. Those with a strong religious faith may find the author’s belief in entities of different kinds and her use of tarot cards and Ouija boards a bit troubling.

Conversing with Various Entities
View: on Bookshelves
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Kennedy NC »

It has always been one of my desires to be able to communicate with supernatural entities though I strongly believe this is not possible. Great review.
Precious Naiti
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Precious Naiti »

I am a bit skeptical about the premise of this book. Reading the review makes me interested to see what the author has to say about how communication with different entities can be achieved. This review is informative.
Brendan Donaghy

Kennedy NC wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 11:25 It has always been one of my desires to be able to communicate with supernatural entities though I strongly believe this is not possible. Great review.
Thank you for commenting!
Brendan Donaghy

Precious Naiti wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 09:46 I am a bit skeptical about the premise of this book. Reading the review makes me interested to see what the author has to say about how communication with different entities can be achieved. This review is informative.
Thanks for taking time to leave a comment - much appreciated!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Kavita Shah »

I don't dismiss the idea of supernatural entities that exist with us. It surely will make a great read for me. Thank you for reviewing this book. It was an insightful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”