Official Review: Nine lives endless dreams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 246
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Tinker Tailor's Toolbox by Lindy Jelliman

Official Review: Nine lives endless dreams

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nine lives endless dreams" by MRlene Zaedyan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nine Lives Endless Dreams by Marlene Zaedyan is the author’s memoir about her struggles as a child growing up in Lebanon, as well as her challenges as an adult. Through this book, the author also remembers her ancestors and the victims of the Armenian genocide in the early 20th century. The writer’s tone is serious, descriptive, and respectful, as she goes over many events that caused her grief and sadness in her life.

The writer begins by briefly going over her parents’ history. The author’s mother grew up in Lebanon, but her mother often neglected her, not showing her enough love. The writer’s father’s ancestors were from Armenia. They had fled Armenia and immigrated to Lebanon during the Armenian genocide committed by Turkish soldiers. The writer’s mother became a secular singer, working in night shows. Her relationship with her husband deteriorated, but the author stayed by her father’s side when they separated. However, she eventually also moved in with her mother and her sister, after her father realized how much she had missed her mother. The writer’s mother married a Syrian man, who demanded respect and obedience, while the family moved to Syria with him.

There were numerous enjoyable elements in the text. To begin with, the author employed dialogue and narrative devices to create enthusiasm in the memoir, thus engaging the reader in the book. Moreover, I found the author’s experiences and struggles highly authentic and interesting, as the writer described her trials in a unique and original way. What I liked most about the book was that the writer conveyed a sense of hope and peace through the text, which may motivate readers who are struggling emotionally for various reasons.

What I disliked most about the text was that it had a significant number of grammatical and syntax errors, which showed that it was not professionally edited.

Readers who enjoy memoirs about people who grew up in war-torn countries and faced many childhood challenges will find this book more interesting. People who have origins from the Middle East will find this book more relatable. Readers who follow New Age beliefs are likely to enjoy this book more, as the author explores some beliefs like mediation in the text. However, Catholic readers may also like this memoir, as the writer frequently mentions her family’s Catholic beliefs.

To conclude, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I reduced the rating because of the unprofessional editing in the memoir. I did not want to give the book a lower score because it was authentic, exciting, and motivating.

Nine lives endless dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by Kennedy NC »

Shouldering a mother's neglect is always saddening and poignant. Great review though.
kridz21
Currently Reading: Morning Star
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kridz21.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Post by kridz21 »

Memoirs can sometimes be difficult for the reader to gain enthusiasm about, I'm glad to see that this was one of the exceptions. In fact, based on your descriptions, this seems like a reasonably interesting and exciting read. Thank you for your review, I may consider reading this memoir in the future.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for this informative review. Memoir talking about the hardships and the neglect of mother and challenges while growing up. It sounds deep and I would like to read this memoir.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”