Official Review: Loving Every Awkward Step

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SamSim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Loving Every Awkward Step by Katharine Houston-Voss
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Loving Every Awkward Step

Post by SamSim »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Loving Every Awkward Step" by Katharine Houston-Voss.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What could possibly combine several major surgeries, the misadventures of a small-town girl in New York City, an off-beat silent-acting career, assorted klutzy mishaps, and one colorful trip to the haunted hotel that inspired The Shining? Why, the quirky memoir of Katharine Houston-Voss, of course! The preceding list does not do justice to the absorbing, surprising collection of personal stories contained in Katharine’s autobiography, aptly titled Loving Every Awkward Step: A Humorous Memoir About Clubfoot, Life Choices and Surviving Being Different. What started as an effort to journal about her experience of “surviving being different” blossomed over 10 years into a full-on manuscript.

Born with clubfoot and metatarsus varus (the first term of many this book prompted me to Google), the author underwent her first foot surgery before the age of two, and several more painful procedures followed over the decades. As a result of her condition, she alternately wore different types of braces and relied on crutches, canes, or wheelchairs post-surgery. As anyone with a disability or visible deformity can attest, this draws constant and mostly unwanted attention. How the author coped - and continues to cope - with “the staring” and uncomfortable questions is an interesting thread that runs through her work.

This book is far from a one-trick pony, though. Katharine explores the complexities of life on all fronts: family, love, career, and self-expression through art, to name a few. As the reader, I was a transfixed rollercoaster passenger, moved to tears, indignance, empathetic pride, or belly laughter with nearly every page - sometimes all in the same chapter! Katharine’s style is flowing and conversational as if she’s relating her story to a friend without heavy forethought, which made for smooth reading. Equally enjoyable was her sassy sense of humor and (sometimes dark) irony, the kind that develops when your circumstances have forced you to either embrace bitterness or snarkiness, and you’ve chosen the latter.

This tone simultaneously keeps Loving Every Awkward Step from ever feeling whiny or sickeningly positive. On the contrary, the overall tone is hopeful and grateful, as evidenced by many of the stories related, which results in some very quotable excerpts. For example, for a short time in her childhood, the author had to ride the “short bus” to school following surgery, which put her face-to-face with other kids who were arguably worse off than herself. What started out as embarrassment at being forced to ride the handicap-accessible bus rapidly morphed into amazement at the open-mindedness and kindness exhibited by these kids. Following this story, the author sums up what she learned:
“Some people need more help than others, and those people are just as wonderful as everyone else.”
While this may illustrate some kind of emotional deficiency on my part, I really enjoyed Katharine’s stories of personal mishaps, which were related with the sensitivity of a true slapstick performer. At one point, while out skiing (one of the few sports she could participate in as a kid), she lost control. Katharine continues:
“My skis found their way down the hill, without me, and one pole stood straight up in the snow like the national flag for the uncoordinated.”
The author's frustration with trying to fit in ultimately resulted in her discovery of acting as a creative outlet, and she entertainingly relates her journey through acting school, facing frequent rejection (It seems you can’t get signed as a leading lady unless you can get around in high heels.), considering a boob job, and ultimately accepting herself and finding her own zany niche onstage with other talented oddballs. This book weaves many threads, from relationships with parents to becoming a parent, from single-life loneliness to love, from self-doubt to self-acceptance, and from resignation to triumph. The resulting tapestry feels very raw, honest, and real.

One disclaimer: It pains me to list the faults of this book, as it resonated with me deeply - I have cerebral palsy and foot deformities of my own. However, Loving Every Awkward Step is not perfect. There were many issues related to editing, including but not limited to misused and misplaced commas, hyphens, apostrophes, and capitalization; formatting issues; subject-verb disagreement; typos; missing words; incorrect tense; and missing or incorrect closing punctuation. These issues have forced me to remove a star from my rating, but I sincerely hope they won’t deter anyone from reading the book, which I award 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend Loving Every Awkward Step, by Katharine Houston-Voss, to all humans trying to figure themselves out, except those who don’t enjoy biographical works or very young or sensitive readers who object to any profanity or suggestive content. Ultimately, this book is a compelling story of one person squaring up with what it means to be human. And we’re all a little off, so we can all relate. I have to thank Katharine Houston-Voss for dispelling my ignorance of clubfoot, making me laugh, and forcing me to ask: Do our limits define us, or do we define our limits? When it comes to her memoir, I loved every awkward page!

Loving Every Awkward Step
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I am usually not so much into autobiographies, but from your wonderful description, this seemed a very interesting one! It's a pity for all the editing mistakes though, I wouldn't like to read a badly edited book.
SamSim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Loving Every Awkward Step by Katharine Houston-Voss
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim »

Sakura5 wrote: 22 Mar 2021, 12:46 I am usually not so much into autobiographies, but from your wonderful description, this seemed a very interesting one! It's a pity for all the editing mistakes though, I wouldn't like to read a badly edited book.
This book was such a delight, I didn't mind the errors so much. I'm eager to check out the audiobook version read by the author herself. Thanks for reading and replying!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Mtibza eM
2021 Reading Goal: 66
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Silent Lee and the Adventure of the Side Door Key
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such a detailed, beautiful review. I will be on the lookout for this one.
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: Living Strong With Cerebral Palsy by Amanda Forry-Fino

Post by Eutoc »

In as much as I would love to read this book, I think I would wait till the errors and typos are corrected before I pick it up. Thanks for recommending
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Life I’ve Lived: My Life’s Journey And Battle With Parkinson’s by Daniel J Derlein
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

There are times in my life that I still feel there are a lot I'm yet to figure about myself. So I guess this book would be a good read. Thanks for the terrific review and recommendation.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Magnetic Stories by Gabrielle Dolan

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for an insightful review and recommendations I enjoy reading memoirs because there are always things to learn.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: 10 spiritual little nuggets in business by Irene jones

Post by Marcel Cantu »

A very powerful review. This sounds like a great read with a lot of interesting topics. Great work!
Alheotuci
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Alheotuci »

Your review is comprehensively detailed. It is so good! I just want to read the book already.
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The City Of Mirrors
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by raluca_mihaila »

A very informative book, that could help a lot of people struggling with the same issues. Loved reading your detailed review, great job!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”