Official Review: "Cooking Across Italy"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: "Cooking Across Italy"

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Cooking Across Italy"" by Lucrezia Toste O'brien.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Cooking Across Italy" by Lucrezia Toste O'brien is mainly a cookbook, but it is a cookbook that was written as a labor of love. The author has a family history of cooks, and her ancestry is Italian. So, she decided to travel frequently to various parts of Italy to immerse herself in its culture and her heritage. While she visited, she took cooking classes in the different regions. This book is her compilation of some of the recipes she learned while she was there. It is also a travel journal of sorts, providing accounts of some of the activities she did while visiting and the people she met along the way. The book is complete with photos of the journey that accompany the stories and recipes. 

This is a very detailed and comprehensive cookbook. It encompasses so many parts of Italy and its varied types of cuisine. The recipes are concise and easy enough for a novice cook to follow. The ingredients are clearly listed, and none of them seem to be too exotic to find in a conventional grocery store. I enjoyed reading this book. It opened my eyes to the types of food that is consumed in Italy. I have never been there and didn't know much about the traditional dishes. After reading this cookbook, I have a better grasp of the region and a good starting point to try making some of the dishes on my own. 

My favorite part of this book is that it serves as a travel guide and memoir as well as a cookbook. I enjoyed reading the descriptions of the different regions of Italy at the beginning of each section. I also thought the personal tales the author included added to the originality of the book. The photos are a cute addition as well. They make the author a much more relatable person. 

While I did enjoy this book a lot and found great value in it, it didn't have an extremely professional feeling to it. The writing was a bit amateur, and a lot of the sections seemed like journal entries written more for the author herself and not for a greater audience. The book seemed edited, and I didn't find many errors, but it didn't have a very sophisticated feel to the writing. My least favorite part was that there was no conclusion. Each section had a brief introduction, but there was nothing at the end to tie the whole trip and all the highlights of Italy together. 

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think it is a cute cookbook with a lot of different recipes for the reader to try. The personal stories added to the book. At the same time, it still needs a bit of work to make it appear a bit more literary or professional. I would recommend this to anyone interested in cooking Italian dishes or to anyone just interested in Italy. This would be a great book to look through before heading on a trip to Italy. If you're not interested in cooking at all, I probably wouldn't give it a try. I know reading this book made me hungry and eager to try out some new recipes in my own kitchen. 

"Cooking Across Italy"
View: on Bookshelves
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

A culinary journey through Italy sounds like a great idea to me. As the recipes and cooking instructions seem to be clear and concise, this book is a useful addition to any kitchen shelves.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It seems quite an original tale encompassing different literary genres; it is a pity is not better developed in order to feel more professional. Thank you for this honest review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This cookbook sounds like it's chock full of good things. With recipes, information about different regions, and some of the people she met along her travels, I'll be checking this out. Thank you for your good review!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I love Italian cuisine, so this sounds like a perfect book for me.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Thanks for picking this book for a review! Traveling to Italy to learn how to cook sounds like such fun! I bet the personal stories are a really nice touch! Nice review!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”