Official Review: DeGroote by SSG Conrad John Kersch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Official Review: DeGroote by SSG Conrad John Kersch

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "DeGroote" by SSG Conrad John Kersch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World War II was a period of suffering, casualties, and traumatic experiences. Loved ones were lost, and there were no jobs for survivors, amongst many other unfortunate events. Still, people survived this precarious period in history. I could bet you've probably heard stories of people surviving the war. But have you heard a first-hand account from someone who was actively involved in the war?

DeGroote is a memoir with a detailed account of SSG Conrad John Kersch's life as a United States airman who was actively involved in the war. After a series of unfortunate events, he became a member of the French underground. You might be wondering how a United States airman became an underground member. Well, if you read the book, you'd get to know about the series of interesting events that led to him becoming an underground member and the missions in which he was involved.

I would define excellent writing as putting words or thought processes together to create an emotional and psychological connection with the reader in the most simplistic way. SSG Conrad John Kersch's DeGroote had the requirements to fit the above definition. I understood the book, as it wasn't written in a complicated manner. Moreover, SSG Conrad John Kersch put his words in a manner that I could feel every emotion and scenario playing out in every scene. For instance, there was a point where the enemy was pursuing him, and he found a ditch, fell asleep in it and woke up to feel hands on his body. I felt the fear like I was in his situation at that time; I couldn't help but let out a scream at that point. I'd suppose my friends wondered what was wrong with me.

Another awesome aspect of this book was the author's detailed description of events. He described the book's events in a way that I saw them in my mind's eye. When he described the funeral in which he participated as an altar boy, where the corpse fell off the coffin and into the grave with the belly bursting in the process, I literally cringed. I could see the entire scene playing out in my mind's eye. I was also impressed with the photos of people, places, and events added to the book. They gave a sense of credibility to the narrative.

The book was an exciting and captivating read, but sadly, it had one distinct fault. It contained a plethora of errors that left me wondering if the book was ever edited. My concentration was negatively affected, as I kept pausing to take notes. I'd recommend that the book undergo a thorough and professional editing process.

I'd rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it a 4-star rating, as it was an awe-inspiring read, but sadly, it contains an avalanche of errors. The perfect audience would be people interested in World War II stories, especially those involving combat and survival.

DeGroote
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jameel Khan 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jameel Khan 1 »

Love this book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”