Review by ReaderAisha2020 -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Review by ReaderAisha2020 -- The Biblical Clock

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Biblical Clock is a non-fiction book by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon. It considers the theory of God's creation in light of science and scientific theories. The book is written from a Jewish perspective and particularly the Kabbalah or mystical ideas of Judaism. It covers the history of the theological study of the universe according to various Rabbis who had sought to predict the end of the earth using mathematical formulas, based on the idea that the six days of creation, are the days in the sight of God, not that of humans. Therefore, each day would be like a thousand of our earth years. The mathematical formula would equal each day to be 2.5 billion years. Similarly, the idea of the sin of Adam according to the Bible and how it relates to science and theories was another theme covered in the book.

The positive aspects of the book were that it was well written and appeared to have been professionally edited since I did not come across a single spelling mistake or error throughout reading the book. It was interesting to read about the Jewish perspective of creation and events in history. For example, the idea of the six days being different from our human earthly days was interesting, as well as the predictions concerning the end of the world. The future war of Magog and Gog was mentioned, and I had thought that it was something specific to Islam. I have now realised that Jewish beliefs and Kabbalah have many similarities to Muslim beliefs and perhaps Christian beliefs too. It seems that these Rabbis put in a great amount of effort to try and predict future events, based on sources and knowledge of the book, as well as relating spiritual knowledge to worldly knowledge.

There was nothing specifically negative about the book, except that for a non-Jewish person who does not know about the Rabbi's mentioned, I found it a little over my head at times. I did find it interesting however and benefited from reading the book.

Due to the above, I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars since I did not see any reason to reduce a star. It was a beneficial and thoughtful read.

It would interest people interested in non-fiction books concerning theology and religion, particularly Kabbalah and the debate concerning the relationship between science and religion.

People who are put off by heavy deep, metaphysical books may find it difficult to read.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”